Help very bizzare problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No water in the central heating system.

I was bleeding a radiator last night and it suddenly went dry.

There is water in the header tank and if I turn the bleed on at that pipe (just before the pump) I get water. However there is no water after the pump even before the 3 way valve. Is it a problem with Sludge in the pump? If I turn the pump on water seems to flow but not very well.

Thanks Chaps

Sponsored Links
Not 100% sure I follow you, but does sound like a blocked cold feed.

Thanks for that chaps. It was a blockage in the pipe from the header tank to the pump. Fixed it with a wire coat hanger.

But I have a new problem now the piot light went out on the boiler at the same time (ish) and will not stay lit. If i keep the pilot light control pressed in the bolier will still not fire any Idea's?

Boiler is a Glow Worm Fuelsaver 2.

Sponsored Links
Check out if there is an overheat stat on the boiler that needs reseting, (push button), or it could be an automatic reset overheat stat that has not reset, if it is disconect the t/couple and remove the fitting on the back of the gas valve and refit the t/couple, if it works replace the o/h stat. If it's one that has an interupter within the length of the t/couple short the two connections out on the o/h leads, again if it works change the o/h stat, (in both cases you're only bridging the o/h stat out to see if that's the problem and you should'nt run the boiler without the o/h stat, it's there for a reason), failing that try a new t/couple

The boiler probably overheated when full of air and popped the overheat stat - the reset button. That may not have reset. You can check it with a multimeter, should be zero ohms. If it is ok then it would seem to be the thermocouple - just a coincindence. The main burner is turned off while you hold the pilot light on with the knob/button.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back