Part P renewal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know how often, how much, and what you need to do if you need to, for renewing your Part P qualification.

Bazdaa

Sponsored Links
First, there is no such thing as a 'Part P qualification'.

If you are asking about about renewing your registration with one of the competent persons schemes, then you should be asking the scheme operator directly.

The way you asked the question suggests that you haven't actually joined such a scheme (because if you had, you would know) in which case why ask about renewal?

dingbat said:
First, there is no such thing as a 'Part P qualification'.

If you are asking about about renewing your registration with one of the competent persons schemes, then you should be asking the scheme operator directly.

The way you asked the question suggests that you haven't actually joined such a scheme (because if you had, you would know) in which case why ask about renewal?

I beg to differ (see below), but I still welcome your advice.

http://www.buildertrainingcentre.co.uk/courses/part.htm

Bazdaa

You may beg to differ, however:

1) You cannot be begging to differ about your status - if you had any qualifications, and were registered with a scheme, and knew about the whole set up you would know that "Part P" is the name for the new part of the Building Regulations, added via Statutory Instrument 2004 No. 3210 The Building (Amendment) (No.3) Regulations 2004, and not a qualification.

2) As for that training company - they may well be offering courses which lead to the award of the EAL Level 2 Certificate for Domestic Electrical Installers, but that is not called "Part P"; maybe they are using the term in the way that they do because they believe that their target market is hard-of-thinking.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
You may beg to differ, however:

1) You cannot be begging to differ about your status - if you had any qualifications, and were registered with a scheme, and knew about the whole set up you would know that "Part P" is the name for the new part of the Building Regulations, added via Statutory Instrument 2004 No. 3210 The Building (Amendment) (No.3) Regulations 2004, and not a qualification.

2) As for that training company - they may well be offering courses which lead to the award of the EAL Level 2 Certificate for Domestic Electrical Installers, but that is not called "Part P"; maybe they are using the term in the way that they do because they believe that their target market is hard-of-thinking.

Of course I am not talking about my status, otherwise I would not be asking the question! I have also showed my status in other post.

However now I am confused. All I want to do, is complete my own electrical jobs at home (and the occaisional extended family). I think I will give the school a call, but any advice is much appreciated.

Bazdaa

Bazdaa said:

Bazdaa
Bazdaa, the web site you've referred to is not an authority on this matter - it's just someone else's opinion.

dingbat isn't the only one who believes you're not Part P qualified. Surely you can see that people would be concerned about giving advice to someone who is less than full open about their intent - why don't you give some insight into why you're asking about renewals?

Softus said:
Bazdaa said:

Bazdaa
Bazdaa, the web site you've referred to is not an authority on this matter - it's just someone else's opinion.

dingbat isn't the only one who believes you're not Part P qualified. Surely you can see that people would be concerned about giving advice to someone who is less than full open about their intent - why don't you give some insight into why you're asking about renewals?

Hold on a minute, what are you talking about. I have not misled anyone. I asked how do you get a Part P qualification. As I have done a fair bit of electrics in my house. For the record, I plan my work, then run it by someone, then do it. I do not take shortcuts, like trying to install a TV in the loft and feed it off the light or shower circuit (I think thats the guy you need to be concerned with). If I wanted to do this, then there would not be an option (for me) but to extend the ring.

2 years ago, I was allowed to wire my own home up. Now I cannot, (accoring to the goverment). The problem I have with this, to keep it short is rogue traders (and dont bother jumping on that either).

I asked a basic question, but yet you want to challenge me about my status. If your that bothered, then you will see my current status, from my other post.

Now that I have justified myself to you. I guess I will just get the answer from someone else, if you dont want to answer it.

P.S. I have previously completed a plastering course at the builder training centre. Howeer I'm not out there plastering. I use it for doing small jobs at home, and call someone in for the bigger jobs.

Hello again, Bazdaa.

There is nothing whatsoever to prevent you from doing whatever you like to/with your own home, whatever your qualifications or abilities. Many projects however- such as structural alterations, extensions, additions etc - require planning consent and/or Building Regulations approval. The reason for this is to maintain standards of health, safety and utility of buildings, especially dwellings.

Electrical installations in dwellings are now included in the requirement to conform to Building Regulations.

One way of conforming is to use the services of an approved/registered electrician and let him/her sort out the paperwork, in much the same way as you might ask a builder to convert your loft.

The other way is to do the work yourself and notify Local Authority Building Control (www.labc-services.co.uk) who will charge you a fee in return for checking and certifying that your work conforms.

You seem to have discovered a third way, however, which is to invent your own new laws, then argue with anybody who tries to put you straight.

dingbat said:
Hello again, Bazdaa.

There is nothing whatsoever to prevent you from doing whatever you like to/with your own home, whatever your qualifications or abilities. Many projects however- such as structural alterations, extensions, additions etc - require planning consent and/or Building Regulations approval. The reason for this is to maintain standards of health, safety and utility of buildings, especially dwellings.

Electrical installations in dwellings are now included in the requirement to conform to Building Regulations.

One way of conforming is to use the services of an approved/registered electrician and let him/her sort out the paperwork, in much the same way as you might ask a builder to convert your loft.

The other way is to do the work yourself and notify Local Authority Building Control (www.labc-services.co.uk) who will charge you a fee in return for checking and certifying that your work conforms.

You seem to have discovered a third way, however, which is to invent your own new laws, then argue with anybody who tries to put you straight.

I have not discovered a 3rd way. I was simply asking how does someone become Part P certified. I think thats a valid question.

I was\am not arguing with anyone. What I'm doing is setting the record straight with regards to my intentions. As I do not appreciate being accused of having an alterior motive as to why I am asking the question.

Anyway I now have the answer to my question, simply by picking up the phone.

I always wondered why some post, had 80 views and 2 replies. Now I know!

Lurking is the way forward!

Bazdaa

dingbat said:
So, why did you not simply ask where you stood when it comes to doing electrical work in your own home?

Because thats not what I wanted to know. I know that already!
The question was, how can I do my own electrics legally.

Bazdaa

dingbat said:
I do think that's a bit steep - the original issue was whether or not "Part P" was the name of a qualification.

I don't know what Bazdaa planned to do, or thought he could do, but I suspect, given his initial confusion, and the stuff he read on that training company website, that he thought he could obtain a qualification after 5 days and then be allowed to do wiring in his home, and families/friends.

I further suspect that he has now found out that he can't simply do that, and I hope he now understands why we were all so sure that he wasn't registered, and why we couldn't see why, therefore, registration renewal was of interest.....

Bazdaa said:
dingbat said:
So, why did you not simply ask where you stood when it comes to doing electrical work in your own home?

Because thats not what I wanted to do. I know that already!

Bazdaa

Is English your first language?

ban-all-sheds said:
dingbat said:
I do think that's a bit steep - the original issue was whether or not "Part P" was the name of a qualification.

I don't know what Bazdaa planned to do, or thought he could do, but I suspect, given his initial confusion, and the stuff he read on that training company website, that he thought he could obtain a qualification after 5 days and then be allowed to do wiring in his home, and families/friends.

I further suspect that he has now found out that he can't simply do that, and I hope he now understands why we were all so sure that he wasn't registered, and why we couldn't see why, therefore, registration renewal was of interest.....

Exactly in one. I thought Part P was some type of domestic certification!

However it would have been good, for people to give the advice. Rather than thinking that I was looking to pull a fast one!

dingbat said:
Bazdaa said:
dingbat said:

Because thats not what I wanted to do. I know that already!

Bazdaa

Is English your first language?

Did your mum drop you on your head when you was a baby?

Bazdaa

Bazdaa said:
But that wasn't the question you asked - you asked "Does anyone know how often, how much, and what you need to do if you need to, for renewing your Part P qualification. "

Bazdaa said:
[Exactly in one. I thought Part P was some type of domestic certification!

However it would have been good, for people to give the advice. Rather than thinking that I was looking to pull a fast one!

The problem was that you came her with that deeply flawed understanding of "Part P", and then when told that's not what it is, you argued. Given that attitude, and the fact that your question was so odd, I guess people started to wonder what you were up to..

Anyway - do you now know what Part P is, and do you now understand the process of registering with a self-certification scheme organiser, and the prerequisites and costs of that? Do you like what you've found? Do you still have questions?

FYI - this is my most recent post on the legal situation regarding DIY work:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234869#234869

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back