new shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a 7kw shower for years which has given up the ghost. Been told I can go up to a 7.5kw without having to change wiring. Also have a combi-boiler now, does that make any difference regarding the electric shower. Sorry, only a lowly woman and changing a plug is the as far as my knowledge on anything electrical goes.

Sponsored Links
You may be able to go higher still (even 10.5 kW is possible) on your existing wiring, depending size and on length of run, etc. Best to get professional advice on this, since it gets quite technical.

The combi won't effect the electric shower, but you might want to consider a thermostatic mixer shower (£60?) running off the combi as an alternative. This will give a much better flow (double?) than even a 10.5 kW electric one, but will require the hot supply pipe being brought up to shower point.

chrishutt said:
but will require the hot supply pipe being brought up to shower point.

Which probably won't be as costly as you might think: the hot supply is probably already available at the bath tap.

Thermostatic mixer showers generally look better than the electric blobs anyway.

Sponsored Links
My advice is to stick with the electric shower as when your combi breaks down then at least you will be able to get some hot water.

i take your shower is above the bathtub? get a bathmixer with shower attachment and rail(between £40 and £80) the combi will give you better flowrate on the hotwater than any electric shower... :idea:

plumberman said:
get a bathmixer with shower attachment
Not suitable for use with a combi! Only bath/shower mixer to use is one with built in thermostatic control - £250ish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back