Here's unusual one? - smelly clothes!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
The machine is LG Intellowasher 1295FHB.

intermittently, the clothes come out smelling as if they have been washed in dirty water, or not rinsed properly.
It doesn't matter what program, it's still does it.
The machine drains OK, so I think it might not be rinsing correctly.
The only theory i have is that cold water supply is tapped off the pipe that also feeds dishwasher and kitchen sink, so unknowingly the machine might not be getting enough cold eater in its rinse cycle sometimes.
I notice when I turn the sink tap on whilst the the washing machine is filling, the cold water pressure does drop significantly. (following the path of least resistance I guess)
I have taken out in-line filter to cold inlet, and results still the same.
This only my lay-man's theory, so can anyone else suggest something please?
Thanks. Paul

Sponsored Links
What does the washing machine drain hose connect to? And what route does the hose follow on the way?

Hi Thanks for your reply.
The hose leaves the machine and then into a up standing pipe behind the machine, which drains to the outside of ther house.
Cheers
Paul

OK, I'll be honest, I was hoping that you'd reveal a badly installed waste, but it doesn't sound like you have that.

The cold water starvation idea is an interesting thought, but AFAIK the filling cycle will continue until a designated level is reached, as measured by an APS.

Some random thoughts:

Inlet filter clogged.
Pump filter clogged.
Outlet hose kinked.
Outlet hose pushed too far down the standpipe.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

washing machines smell because of bacteria, which grows on the residue of the combination of left overs from detergent/comfort/dirt.

Try doing a monthly maintenance wash without clothing but correctly dosed with powder, read the box, carefully, and follow the instructions regarding hard/soft water. Only by following the manufacturers instruction and correctly dosing will you be able to reverse the "smelling" clothes.

AF

For your guidance
To Softus
Thanks for advising me that water stravation is very unlikely, and the reasons for it is something I know learnt about which makes this forum of great value.
Inlet Filter - I have taken out for now
Pump Filter - clear
Outlet hose - no kinks
Out let hose - is hooked over the standup pipe, which is just over machine height

To AF
Thanks for this input. I will do this today on a hot wash I guess. Also, as tactfully as I can, I'll try and see if Mrs is dosing correctly. This will be the hardest job of all !! :) but I can always blame you!! :)
Should I add a Calgon on this monthly maintenance too?

I'll be back with any further news!!

Also try taking out and washing the little plastic drawer that the powder and fabsoft go into. Also the hole that the drawer slides into. They tend to accumulate mouldy old lumps. the fabsoft liquid holder in particular is worth taking apart as they get mildew and never have a hot rinse. You can use a kitchen bleach cleaner to kill mildew, then rise and dry thoroughly.

Lots of people (incl me) prefer to throw the cupful of powder onto the clothes through the porthole door rather than into the drawer, it can't clog that way. Excess soap powder will build up and rot.

Rolling Drum said:
... as tactfully as I can, I'll try and see if Mrs is dosing correctly. ..

surely you don't allow your wife to do housework?
;)

Thanks for that posting.
I will do that also.
The smelling clothes is intermittent, which I thought may have had a bearing on the case. It puzzled me!
But I have 3 recommendations now including yours, and I will be back if they cure, or not cure the problem

As for Mrs doing the housework, isn't thats why women have smaller feet so they can get closer to the kitchen sink??
Cheers
Paul

Hi
The cause of the smelling clothes was mould build up in the inlet tray, box and the tube to the drum. I took it all apart and you could smell it straight away.
I have cleaned everything, and the Mrs uses a wash ball now rather than the tray.
problem solved
Thanks very much John D and all others who helped me.

In the meantime does anyone know where I can get spares for LG washing machine? It's not very apparent on Net search, only espares, and they haven't got the part (door catch)
Thanks again
Paul

I have an LG vacuum cleaner, needed some dust bags for it, they are http://www.lge.com/index.do

and their Spares Department is on:

0870 607 5544 pressing 2 when prompted.

I emailed and asked the part no and price first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back