overheating and hot mains!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our boiler is overheating and to-date the engineers called-out have failed to identify a problem. Boiler thermostats have been changed and also we've had a new pump fitted. The wierdest thing is that when it happens, our mains tap runs hot for a few seconds. Any pointers on the overheating and any ideas on why the cold tap can run hot when this happens? Worrying...

Sponsored Links
Could the cold water tap be getting hot because it runs along side the hot water pipe work somewhere?

Joseph

This is the only thing I thought of, but if the pipes do run close enough for this to happen, I guess it should happen (maybe to a lesser extent) all the time....

What is your boiler stat setting at ? might be too high.

Sponsored Links
There's a circular dial to the right of the front panel, which I'm assuming is the stat control. At the 3 o'clock position is a dot that is supposed to mark the most efficient setting. We run it slightly lower than that, so I'm assuming we're not running it too hot. Stumped!

This ia long shot. Is it a combi boiler? Is the filling loop connected? do you have lowish water pressure? is the filling valve leaking? is hot water being pushed back along the inlet pipe? Also more likely with a vented cylinder.

Strange question but would you say that your domesti pipework was small ,ie, a flat with short runs to the taps, tel you why later ,plus as oilman said what type of boiler is it and do you have a water meter ?

We've got a traditional boiler and we do run off a water meter. Pipe runs are not short - the mains feed to the kitchen tap was actually lengthened two years ago when we had a kitchen extension built.

How do you know the boiler's overheating?
If the cold main isn't connected to the boiler system it must be pipe proximity somewhere. Check all is well in the loft - header tank area.

Often new thermostats have to be put in with thermally conductive paste, which gets forgotten.

Always helps if people tell us what boiler/system they have!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back