Rsj question for knocking room through

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,and thanks in advance for any responses.i live in a semi detached house brick and tile and bay windows so give you an idea of a bog standard house.i would like to knock the wall In between the front room and back room to open up the space.how ever the wall is a supporting wall so it is of brick construction and I would like the rsj to sit high enough up so the ceilings are flush and no protrusion downward and the walls level so no signs of we're the rsj is.the walls around the two rooms are only one brick thick were I suppose you would need to support the rsj and the other side is connected to my neighbours.Is what I want to do possible and any rough ideas on costs.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the bedroom floor joists span onto the wall you're removing, it is difficult to get a flush ceiling. It can be done - by cutting the ends of the joists and supporting them off hangers hooked on the top of the steel - but it's tricky and will be disruptive to the upstairs.

If the joists on both sides span parallel to the wall, that makes life easier, though you may still need to do some work in the rooms above.

As an aside, you may notice the slight difference in level of the plaster ceiling on either side of the beam. Much depends on the skill and patience of the plasterer.

Hi thanks I will have to check which way the wood work runs,however the supporting walls for the rsj are only 4 inch wide single brick walls and my understanding is it needs to be 6inchs to support rsj and being a semi connected to the neighbours house will there be a 6 inch support without damaging next doors walls,unless there is another way

Four-inch brick walls are OK for supporting a steel beam.

You can take the beam into the thickness of the party wall to avoid having a short pier, but you would need to agree this with the adjoining owner.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back