Hot Water Pressure has Decreased.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Very basic/simple water system. gravity fed.

Water tank with immersion heater,
kitchen (1x mixer tap)
bathroom (2x mixer taps, bath and sink)

all located downstairs (i know this is the reason why the hot water pressure is quite low anyway), have lived with this system for 5 years, and although the hot water pressure has always been quite low, it has been liveable,

the problem is, recently the hot water pressure has decreased substantially, after running any of the hot taps, 30 seconds later the hot water goes to a trickle. this is different from the last 5 years.

Sponsored Links
Close all taps.

Palm of hand under the end of kitchen mixer spout

Open hot side of mixer (hand still in same place)

Open cold water slowly, feeling water go up the hot side of the pipe work, leave for 30 - 60 seconds.

Turn off both taps

Remove hand and open hot tap.

All should be ok

Andy

Thanks for quick reply,

A few years ago i fitted a new kitchen and the plumber installed the water pipes, combination of copper and plastic pipe, i am nervous of sending mains pressure through hot water side, is something going to "pop off" ?

Anyway, did exactly as you instructed, large noise came from the tap whilst sending the cold through the hot side, (like fog horn, lol)

went to the bathroom and ran the hot tap,

definite improvement but still not fixed, the hot water pressure remained good (as per previous normal) for about 2 minutes before it dropped off again.

Do it again but for longer then open the kitchen hot tap and leave it running for 2-3 minutes. Is it fixed?

Andy

Sponsored Links
repeated again, held for longer, then ran kitchen hot for 3 minutes, pressure there remained same as previous normal,

after, i went i ran the hot bath tap, again, initially all back to previous normal, then 2 minutes later decreased again,

just to let you know a bit more, the bath tap is the closest tap to the water tank, its located in the same room>

Has anyone closed any gate valves in the air-in cupboard?

Is there water in the cold water tank?

Andy

there is water in the tank, i can hear it refilling everytime used, it seems to refill slowly though? is there any kind of float or valve inside? not allowing it to fill quickly enough?

the inlet valve on the pipe work seems to be fully open,,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back