Earthing an Electric OVEN

ADB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im fitting a new kitchen and having an electric OVEN. I'm being given differing advice on earting it. Advice please?

Sponsored Links
Electric hob should be connected to a cooker control unit using 6mm twin & earth cable, use the earth conductor of this cable,no further earth required. You should realy test the earth at the ccu but you need special instrument to do so.

My apologies Nigel it's an Oven not a HOB. Does that make any difference?

No difference at all. Connect it with 6mm twin and earth to a cooker supply box.
When you've fitted your new kitchen you should have the electrics checked, especially the secondary earth bonding if any plumbing work has been done, and carry out earth leakage checks on the appliances.

Sponsored Links
So it doesnt need earthing to the water supply before the stopcock?

Hi ADB,

You can earth an oven in much the same way as any other appliance. Depending on the spec. of the appliance it may not draw enough to require more than a 13A plug top, although personally I would always fit using 2.5mm heat shielded cable, not the cheap option but it is the safe one.

Regards

K.

please read forum rules, your signature has been removed

tiredengineer said:
No difference at all. Connect it with 6mm twin and earth to a cooker supply box.
When you've fitted your new kitchen you should have the electrics checked, especially the secondary earth bonding if any plumbing work has been done, and carry out earth leakage checks on the appliances.

Now who was it that said Kitchens dont need to be bonded, because there is not as much risk! Must find that post.

Just to clarify, there is no requirement to carry out "supplementary bonding" in a normal kitchen as it is not a special location as far as the wiring regulations are concerned.
An oven and any class 1 (earthed) appliance must be connected to the circuit protective conductor for its particular circuit.
ADB said:
So it doesnt need earthing to the water supply before the stopcock?
I'm thinking you are getting confused with the main equipotential bonding, this connects (on a metal pipe install) from the pipeworks point of entry to the building to the MET (Main Earth Terminal) http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/5.4.3.htm. The size of cable depends on the type of installation.

Spark
That was my understanding( your second point ), the previous post threw me a bit.
Cheers,
ADB

It wasn't my intention to start an arguement or debate on this subject.
My thinking was that with a new kitchen being installed it was likely to be an older property with an older wiring system.
I've come across the secondary (or supplementary) bonding under the sink having been disconnected and stuffed down the back of the unit or behind the integrated appliance, hence the advice to have it checked after the kitchen has been fitted.
To my way of thinking, if it was part of the original installation it shouldn't have been removed in this manner. If it isn't required I would have thought complete removal would have been the way to do it.

tiredengineer said:
It wasn't my intention to start an arguement or debate on this subject.
Not so much an arguement or debate, I just thought a little bit of clarification of the subject was needed which if not undertaken properly could give rise to danger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back