wiring humidity/timer extractor fan in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok, so the fans fitted, ducting in place, everythings done but the wiring. problem is i've never worked with this setup of wiring before.
here's the setup i have:
ir3w9x.jpg

i've read alot of posts on here on fitting extractor fans in bathrooms, but only 1 guy was working with the same wiring as me, and he didnt get an answer.

the fan comes with a manual, but its a rubbishy black and white photocopy that i'd need a microscope to read. the inside of the fan was labelled, so i know the wiring is connected to the inside of the fan fine.

i'd be very grateful if someone could give me a diagram, or complete mine, and show me exactly how to wire this up. i need it to have a constant live, so anytime the shower in the bathroom is on the humidity part of the fan can operate(should self activate). the fan also has a timer, that runs for a preset period of time after the light in the bathroom has been turned off.

Sponsored Links
OK, the usual way to wire a fan of this nature is to take a 3 core + e from the ceiling rose.
Live, Neutral, Switched live and Earth. Take these to a 3 pole isolator, and from there to the fan.
The Live (brown) goes to L
The Neutral (Grey sleeved Blue) goes to N
The Switched Live (Black sleeved Brown) goes to ~
This will mean the fan comes on when the light is switched on and stay on for a period after the light is switched off
N.B. (obvious I'm sure but) teh earths are terminated in an extra terminal block.

Qedelec said:
OK, the usual way to wire a fan of this nature is to take a 3 core + e from the ceiling rose.
that is why i drew a diagram of my wiring at the bathroom light and the bathroom pullcord(which i want to use to activate the timer). i dont have 3 core and earth coming from the ceiling rose, only 1 red and 1 black, the same from the pullcord. i followed these and they meet with all the other light/switch cables in the house, and the red from the light meets the black from the switch, and vice versa.

any help on how to wire this would be greatly appreciated.

Then at the JB you must have a permanent live, which goes to the switch (probably on red) and a switched live which comes back from the switch (probably black).

And obviously a neutral, as that goes to the light.

Like this, but without the cable to the next JB:

switch2.jpg

So at the JB, not the rose, you've got the terminals to connect the 3C+E for the fan.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back