Underfloor heating cable...query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
laid 46meters of heating cable,(not a mat)the type where you do not need to return to stat(ie twin cable)
The resistance states that it should read 117.6
but on testing i get a reading of 113.0,

not over tiled yet,should i be concerned at the discrepancy,or is that with in allowed tolerance.

Merry xmas to all and a big thanks to all who contribute.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a known resistance (odd resistor) laying around that you could check the calibration of your meter with?
Personally I wouldnt have thought your reading was anyhting to worry about.

yes multi meter is all ok.

just trying to seek reassurance that i can go ahead and tile..does the reading mean that the cable is sound and all ok,or is there another test i can carry out before tiling

Sponsored Links
that rating sounds close enough to me though if in doubt check with the manufacturer.

'tis 4% out - less than the amount by which the supply voltage can vary, so it's hard to see why it should be an issue.

Also, I wonder what ambient temperature the manufacturer is expecting you to measure at?

Have to get my oar in here!!
Yes, too true, with resistance wire it has to be the ambient temperature- My guess is- you won't have to warm it up much in order to read correctly!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back