cold radiators - one upstairs and one downstairs

bpb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
really random! the radiator next to the combi-boiler in the kitchen (downstairs, back of house) has been turned off for ages and now won\\\'t come on at all. the living room radiator (downstairs, front of house) is fine. bedroom 2 radiator (upstairs, back of house) is fine, as is the bathroom radiator (upstairs, middle of house). finally, the main bedroom radiator (upstairs, front of house) was hot at the top and cold at the bottom and now doesn\\\'t work at all.

have tried bleeding the radiators and those that work expelled some air, but the two that don\\\'t work just had water coming out.

also tried operating the dodgy radiators individually (by turning all the others off) but the boiler just turns itself off unless a working radiator is open.

finally, on the working radiators; the radiator inlet pipes are cold when the radiators are turned off (but obviously heat up when they are turned on). however the main bedroom radiator (turned on but not working) has a warm inlet pipe and the kitchen radiator (also turned on but not working) has a cold inlet pipe.

so; in summary i have five radiators and the one closest to the combi-boiler has a cold pipe and doesn\\\'t work. the one furthest from the combi-boiler has a warm pipe and doesn\\\'t work.

does anyone have any ideas before i take the radiators off the wall to flush them out? the bedroom is freezing!!

Sponsored Links
turned off for ages and now won\\\'t come on at all.
Stuck valve - see reference section.

bedroom radiator (upstairs, front of house) was hot at the top and cold at the bottom and now doesn\\\'t work at all.
Ditto, or Sludge - also in ref section. Just could be an air lock too.

how do i clear an air lock & where's the reference section?

sorry if i'm being thick!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back