Lost my wiring diagram!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Whilst undertaking some DIY work in my house, one of the (2-way) light switches was removed. Like a good lad, I diligently noted the wiring connections so I could re-connect the switch at the end of the works. Now that I'm ready to re-connect the switch... arrgghhhhh... the diagram is missing. (I blame the wife. She blames the kids. the kids blame the dog.)

Anyway, I need some help to try and deduce how to reconnect my 2-way light switch. Here are the clues...

SWITCH TO BE RECONNECTED:
0. I've ignored the earth wires for simplicity - I know what to do here!
1. There are two cables...
2. Cable One has a single RED wire.
3. Cable Two has two wires - a BLACK and a RED.
4. I temporarily joined both RED wires (when I removed the switch) so that the light still comes on when operated by the other switch.

THE OTHER SWITCH (CONNECTED)
0. This is actually a double, two-way switch, but I have omitted the earth wires AND the second switch for simplicity.
1. There are two cables.
2. One cable has a single RED wire and is connected to COMMON.
3. The second cable has two wires. The BLACK wire is connected to L1. The RED wire is connected to L2.

Can anyone help advise me which wire to connect to which terminal on the unconnected switch? Any help much appreciated. I do have a diagram of the current state of play which I'll email to anyone if that would help.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Same as on the other switch, single red to common, and the other wires to L1 and L2 (doesn't really matter which way around)

Hi Adam_151,

Many thanks for your reply. Followed your instructions and it works a treat!

Thanks once again.

Noswar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back