Hotpoint WM52 aged 6 years

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A while ago the door lock on my Hotpoint (First Edition 1000 WM 52) washing machine started giving me trouble but I discovered that a smart \\\'tap\\\' on the machine in the area of the lock would make it spring into life! I have carried on like this for a few months without problem but today it started ok (with the \\\'tap\\\') but stopped mid cycle. I moved the dial on to see if it would start up again but it wouldn\\\'t - I can hear clicking which sounds like the timer is trying to move on but not making any progress. So, I tried to start it again from the beginning and it fills with water ok but then nothing happens (apart from the clicking noise). The drum doesn\\\'t turn (although I can turn it by hand and I\\\'ve checked the belt which is OK). Can anyone tell me if these two problems (i.e. the door lock and the drum not turning)are likley to be connected and if so what the fault(s) might be? Having read the comments on this board it sounds like I could start by replacing the brushes - or is the answer simpler/more complicated than that? Any help gratefully received. Thanks :cry:

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much. New brushes fitted today - it now works fine. Just the door lock to sort out. Thanks for your help! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back