cooker cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wired a 4.25kw double oven to a spare 30amp fuse on CU.I`ve used 2.5T&E from CU to terminal box near oven.From here used 2.5mm heat resistant flex to oven, as reccomended by oven instruction booklet.The T&E used from CU totals approx 3.5m in length.Would this be considered as safe? According to \\\"home\\\" section of site 2.5mm is fine up to 4800W &20A!

Sponsored Links
gedantic said:
Just wired a 4.25kw double oven to a spare 30amp fuse on CU.I`ve used 2.5T&E from CU to terminal box near oven.From here used 2.5mm heat resistant flex to oven, as reccomended by oven instruction booklet.The T&E used from CU totals approx 3.5m in length.Would this be considered as safe? According to \\\"home\\\" section of site 2.5mm is fine up to 4800W &20A!

note the highlighted bits and then comment on what you see

You'll want to be swapping that fuse for a 20A one...

Couple of points..2.5T&E can certainly handle the loading as it is around 18A at 230V or 17.5A at 240V.

However, the cable is not rated at 30A and so it should not be on a 30A breaker so you should change this to 20A.

Further, what is the distance from the consumer unit to the cooker outlet plate? So long as the cable run is shorter than about 27 meters total length you will be OK for volt drop..and being domestic I would presume that this is not an issue..

Sponsored Links
pdcelec said:
gedantic said:
Just wired a 4.25kw double oven to a spare 30amp fuse on CU.I`ve used 2.5T&E from CU to terminal box near oven.From here used 2.5mm heat resistant flex to oven, as reccomended by oven instruction booklet.The T&E used from CU totals approx 3.5m in length.Would this be considered as safe? According to \\\"home\\\" section of site 2.5mm is fine up to 480ote the highlighted bits aYnd then comment on what you see
Yes, it is rather blindingly obvious!!!!! Thanks!

Big_Spark said:
Couple of points..2.5T&E can certainly handle the loading as it is around 18A at 230V or 17.5A at 240V.

However, the cable is not rated at 30A and so it should not be on a 30A breaker so you should change this to 20A.

Further, what is the distance from the consumer unit to the cooker outlet plate? So long as the cable run is shorter than about 27 meters total length you will be OK for volt drop..and being domestic I would presume t hat this is not an issue..
Affirmative! So all I need do is change the fuse wire from 30 to 20?

gedantic said:

No, you need to change the whole fuse (and the base), what happens if the 20A blows for whatever reason and the person fixing it sees a 30A carrier, doesn't realise what has been done and fits 30A fuse wire?

Might be easier to purchase a 20A plug in MCB for it though, than a 20A BS3036

Adam_151 said:
gedantic said:

No, you need to change the whole fuse (and the base), what happens if the 20A blows for whatever reason and the person fixing it sees a 30A carrier, doesn't realise what has been done and fits 30A fuse wire?

Might be easier to purchase a 20A plug in MCB for it though, than a 20A BS3036
Your knowledge is very much appreciated.Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back