Insulation idea for bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,I have a bedroom with 2 external walls and in winter it is very cold so I thought I would try and remedy this before next winter.The walls are of a cavity construction and have been insulated with the foam stuff that goes in between and the loft is full off insulation what else can I do the rad is a double and more than big enough for the room any ideas

Sponsored Links
Tried that but the mrs is a bit of a ice maidan lol

how thick is the loft insulation? Are there gaps?

what sort of windows have you got?

what is the floor covering, and what is below?

is there a fireplace?

Sponsored Links
Hi
No gaps in loft insulation overkill there,double glazed windows,timber flooring with underlay and carpet.The room is above the hall way so 2 external walls,central heating all round,did think about taking off plaster back to brick and installing plasterboard with insulation,but worried about condensation as the cavity is already filled.

what size is the room? what size is the radiator? how long to you run it for, and is it fully hot all over (too hot to keep your hand on)?

do you keep the door and window shut? Is there a loft hatch, or holes for pipes or downlighters in the ceiling?

are there any other sources of draughts?

hi john
The room is a box room and I have checked everything I can I have had a plumber balance rads and everything no draughts .thick curtains plus blind it is just this room and it's the only one exposed with the external walls.

what size is the room? what size is the radiator? how long to you run it for, and is it fully hot all over (too hot to keep your hand on)?

do you keep the door and window shut? Is there a loft hatch, or holes for pipes or downlighters in the ceiling?

are there any other sources of draughts?

Room size 2.5 x 2.7
Rad size 500x700 double
Ran in the morning and then in evening 7 hrs day in winter
Doors open
Hot to touch
No loft Hatch ( in hallway)
Ceiling rose in middle of room
Only pipes coming out of floor to rad

doors open does mean the heat will escape, but this is usually much worse in downstairs rooms.

I have something similar and use a small (500W) oil-filled rad in cold weather after the heating has gone off at night.

Don't bother removing the old plaster just screw insulated plaster board over it and re- skim and refit skirting boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back