top of upstairs rads cool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i bought the house in summer 2005, the house and the boiler itself are both 13 yr old. i had a plumber to check on the day i got the keys, he told me that none of the rads upstairs was heating up, but he'd fixed it for me.

fast forward 4 months to now, the tops of the upstairs rads are cool. the boiler is located in the kitchen downstairs and the rads downstairs are boiling hot whenever the heating is on. also the upstairs radiators make a big banging noise when the heating get turned on in the middle of the night.

i have just read the bits about bleeding the rads and i haven't tried that yet (going to get a key tmr), i'm posting to ask if from your expert opinion, could anything else be wrong?

it is my first house and they're first set of rads i have to take responsibility of and my family is in SE Asia, thus i'm the first person in my family to own a set of rads!! so apologies if i sound rather naff. so far my diy attempts haven't been a success, just broke the float arm in my toilet the other day when i was trying to fix a leak in the ballcock :( . done more damages than good. oh well... all comments welcomed!!!

big thanx in advance!

Sponsored Links
Got to try bleeding them first as that is most likely and obvious. Cross any other bridges when you get to them.
Re the banging noise I would need more info about your system to comment

Slugbabydotcom said:
Got to try bleeding them first as that is most likely and obvious. Cross any other bridges when you get to them.
Re the banging noise I would need more info about your system to comment

Thanks will definitely try it on tmr. I'll report back on whats happen. Cheers!

bleeding is step 1 then post bak 2moro more sado's waiting to help.

Sponsored Links
cookergal said:
bab said:
bleeding is step 1 then post bak 2moro more sado's waiting to help.

LOL about the "sado's". Cheers!! :LOL:

Maybe not sad. Maybe Moody and you've mistakend it. hahaha
remeber each to his own. Do U post on a rocket science forum?

Ok - couldn't get a rad key in town (all hardware stores shut on sundays) but have managed to bled the three rads with a spanner. i don't know if i'd made things worse or better - there are three rads upstairs, while the 1st and 2nd rad that i bled are now working 100% well :LOL:, the last rad i bled is now completely cold (instead of half warm) :eek: . is there any idea what i should do next?

thanks loads for the replies!!

i've looked through at other posts about 1 or more rads being cold and etc., read about the TRV being stuck :idea: and now i have resolved the problem, all rads in the house are running. THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP!!! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back