Earth wire is short

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I currently have an electric cooker but as the cooker was getting old I ordered a new one from currys I didn't opt for the installation as I thought it wouldn't be
that difficult to wire to the existing wall terminal. The delivery has been delayed but I have already disconnected my cooker from the wall and now the delivery has been put back to next week, so I need to reconnect my cooker. When I initially open the wall terminal I was surprised at how tight the connection was I only just about got the screw driver in to release the wires. The problem is that the earth wire in the wall is very short, as it was when I found it. At this moment in time I can't get all six wires connected. I tried pulling some more cable from the wall but it doesn't want to come and I don't want to pull to hard. I opened the control unit to see if there was any extra cable but again that unit was wired so tightly I couldn't inspect further. Is there a way to pull more cable from the wall.
Any advice appreciated.
Thank You
Phil

Sponsored Links
No Phil...

The only way to would move is if it was installed in either a cavity wall or a conduit, and if it doesn't move when you pull it then there is no slack..

The cable in the 'wall terminal' (correct name - Cooker Connection Unit), should be terminated in the screw terminals, negating the need to disturb the fixed wiring.
If this is not the case, call in an electrician.

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes in hindsight I could have left the live and nuetral I didn't think there would be a problem screwing them back into the Cooker Connection Unit but the earth wires were wound together a bit so I don't know wether that would have been possible anyway.
Thank You
Phil

Sponsored Links
If your only a gnat's ... short, you could RATCHET crimp a connector on the end which would then be clamped in the terminal with the cooker fly lead.

Qedelec
I'm not really sure what you are saying as it is hard to visualize clamps with the terminal when I haven't seen it.

If I did manage to get all six wires back in to the Cooker Connection Unit
my main worry is that the earth might slip out as I get it back onto the wall. If I got the unit back onto the wall how could I test that the earth was fitted correctly.

Phil

well thats currys,really a shed with a neon sign and a car park.
Happy cooking.

phil_wb said:
Ok I'll call an electrician.
Thanks for the advice.
Phil
Can you go back to Curry's and opt for installation? That way they have to solve the problem, and you can go back to them if they mess it up!

Cheers,

Howard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back