Possible Replacement For Skoda

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there folks.

I am considering changing my Skoda Octavia TDi Estate for a people carrier with two rows of rear seats, seeing as three Abbott babies (6, 2.5 and 1) are an extremely tight fit in the Czech Chariot at the moment, with all of them requiring some kind of seat or cushion.

Alternatively, I am toying with the idea of a car with 3 + 3 seating. The only two I am aware of are the Fiat Multipla, and a Honda. The Honda sounds reliable and the Fiat a disaster from a depreciation and reliability POV.

If I were to buy a 3-rows PC, it would either be a Seat Alhambra (best of the three of its kind), a Renault Grand Espace (roomy I am led to believe,and safe but not reliable), Citroen C8 (residuals?) or a Toyota Previa (again reliability pluses).

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
The third row of seats look iffy at best... Not much twixt rear bumper and seating afterthought...
:confused:

empip said:
The third row of seats look iffy at best... Not much twixt rear bumper and seating afterthought...
:confused:

Yeah, Mrs Secure feels the same way. I quite like the idea of the Honda
F-RV, but What Car? don't rate it very highly. Their best is the Citroen C8, MPV winner 2004.

Sponsored Links
I quite like the look of the Mitsubish Grandis. 7 seats, probably one of the more expensive options though.

Can't you just tow a caravan and put them in there? ;)

I actually fancy a VW-based minibus, but Mrs Secure does NOT!!

I know a chap with 4 kids who has been running a Toyota Spacecruiser for years. The only problem he has with it (aside from maintaining an engine that is situated under the passenger compartment) is fuel consumption.

Other than that he loves it and raves about it. A vehicle, built from the ground up for hauling large numbers of people about (I think his carries up to 8 in all). He reckons it's luxury to drive and to ride in, which you can't imagine from a more commercial minibus like a Ford Tourneo, that is built more for robustness and schoolchild-proofing than for comfort.

There is a Tourneo Connect out now, might be a bit utilitarian for your tastes though (did you ever think you would say that to a Skoda owner? ;) )

Ran a spacecruiser for years it was the best people carrier ever, but agree with adamw mileage was shocking I am now running my second renault espace and i am highly delighted with both They are diesel of course and I can get 35-40 M.P.G. on a good day I have had no problem with reliability but have read loads of horror stories . The price of renault spare parts is shocking so if there are any problems they will be expensive.

securespark said:

I know this thread is a couple of weeks old now but why doesn't Mrs secure like VW minibuses???? I'd love a VW camper van. We'd have a great excuse to buzz off with the dogs then and leave the kids at home hahahaha....

Such a caring mother I am you see..... ;) :evil:

securespark said:

.....11 long haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse micro-bus....

From 'Convoy' ..... :D :D :D :D :D :D

hermes said:
They have some replacements for Skodas at our local garden centre. :D

with twin exhausts !!!!!! ;)

i am shure its a joke he has never heard before :D

We have given old SS the treatment down the years ..
He smiles his way through it ...

He knows the score, he's been there before.

;)

My family sounds about the same as yours, and I've just got a Renault Grand Scenic - They don't advertise it much, but its perfect for what we need. Get down to a dealer and have a look at one......

AdamW said:
There is a Tourneo Connect out now, might be a bit utilitarian for your tastes though (did you ever think you would say that to a Skoda owner? ;) )

Hmm. That's what I am driving for work.....

Brightness said:
...why doesn't Mrs secure like VW minibuses????

She doesn't like driving "vans".

big & hermes: :LOL: Of course, pip is right! I get stick off loads of people 'bout the CC... Water off a duck's back, matey!!

I've even seen an Octavia taxi with a VW grille and VW wheel trims!!

The guy says he's done it because his scrotal passengers were abusive when he turned up in it....sad gets.

johnny - I shall add Renault to the shortlist.

I could add loads more: the Mazda 5 and Toyota Verso, to name but 2. But they are in the smaller class of MPV (admittedly like the Honda, which did make my shortlist), but what we need is extra width so the bench (or 3 individual cushions) can take 3 kiddy seats - I doubt if the smaller MPV's will fit the bill. I know my p-i-l's Zafira will not do.

Sponsored Links
Back