swan neck on monobloc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a monobloc tap set on the kitchen sink. It leaks around the base of the swan neck. Is there a washer? If so, how do I get at it and replace it?

Sponsored Links
The spout may be held in place by a grub screw which you can access at the back of the tap body. Once the grub screw is removed you should be able to pull out the spout by twisting and pulling.

This will reveal 2 or more rubber O rings, some or all of which will need replacing. Then your problems really start - how to find O rings of the right size? Sometimes it's less trouble to replace the whole thing.

The answer is easy, but the removal often isn't. When there is no grub screw you remove the tap by turning it until a protruding (but invisible) lug on the spout aligns with a gap in the tap body.

The problem is that you can't tell where the gap is, but it will be on either the left or the right. So, the trick is is to rotate the spout so that it's directly over one of the tap handles, and pull firmly and vertically upwards. It often takes a lot of strength and commitment, and you won't know which side the gap is until you've removed the spout (and probably have sweated and sworn a lot).

Sponsored Links
Remember one where I reckoned I'd felt the slight gap, with the spout sideways. But it wouldn't come out. Bloke reckoned he was stronger than me so he elbowed me out of the way, and sweated and swore a lot, but gave up.
Thought I'd have another feel, then a last heave. I pulled it up ok, but it brought the whole St st sink out of the worktop. At least I proved I was stronger than him. :evil:

Blimey! Sounds like a sink replacement was overdue, so I guess you did him a favour :D

Unfortunately, I cannot find the magic slot in the tap base, regardless of which direction I turn the “swan-neck". Any other ideas?

Re Softus’s comment: Why should I replace a sink, when all it needs is a new washer! Has our throwaway society come to this extreme?

I've removed one where the swan neck had to be turned through 180 degrees before the gap was engaged.

I've tried rotating, wriggling, twisting, wrenching, the swan-neck until the poor bird's neck would be like a corkscrew, but I still can't find any slot. Help!

brianh said:
Re Softus’s comment: Why should I replace a sink, when all it needs is a new washer! Has our throwaway society come to this extreme?
Er, that comment was supposed to be (a) mildly jocular, and (b) aimed at ChrisR:cool:

brianh said:
I've tried rotating, wriggling, twisting, wrenching, the swan-neck until the poor bird's neck would be like a corkscrew, but I still can't find any slot. Help!
Then I'm afraid that you're stuffed (plumbing term). Your remaining choices are:

1. Contact the manufacturer and ask them how to do it.
2. Engage a plumber.
3. Replace the entire tap.

If you can't identify the brand, then I suggest that you post an image here and hope that someone recognises it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back