Blockwork garage. Which blocks? Lightweight? AAC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to build a block work garage. It’s going to be timber clad on the outside (for planning) and bare blocks on the inside, which I was going to paint. Blocks are going to be 140mm rather than 100mm because piers would be awkward with our current design.

I was initially planning to use regular dense concrete blocks, but I've just realised they'll weigh 26kg each! This is my first time doing block work and I'm not superman, so thought it might be a good plan to use something a bit easier to work with (lighter). I have a few questions:

1. What are people’s thoughts on doing blockwork with 26kg 140mm concrete blocks? Are they going to be really awkward for a first timer?

2. If so, are lightweight/AAC block walls normally dry lined, or plastered over? I was intending just to paint them, but I’m unsure how durable they are or if they will need covering.

3. There are a couple of posts on here referring to the fact that AAC/lightweight blocks are more likely to crack than regular dense concrete blocks. I wouldn’t care as much if I was plasterboarding over them, but if they do crack, this is going to p*ss me off as the cracks will be visible inside. With a solid foundation and a weaker mortar mix, what do you think are the chances they’re going to crack?

4. What suppliers do people tend to use? I tried to use my local builders merchant (Norburys, Melbourne, South Cambs) but they say they are having trouble getting blocks and can’t get any 140mm until the new year!

I'm OK with paying a more for them, if it makes it a bit easier to build, but if they’re not suitable, I guess I’ll just use dense concrete and see how I go?

Cheers for any opinions

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back