fan & low voltage light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed a fan with timer. Used ring main to supply Live & Neutral via Fan isolator switch installed outside bathroom, LS feed I have taken from the bathroom light switch. Light circuit seems normal arrangement except for the lights being low voltage i.e light switch feeds the transformer.
My problem is the fan doesnt start consistently, could it be that the inductive load of the transformer is effecting the operation of the LS switching in the fan?
My backup plan is to feed the LS in the fan from the live fan feed and use a double pole single throw switch as the light switch That would mean ring main through the light switch (Not sure that is legal)

Sponsored Links
I have installed a fan with timer. Used ring main to supply Live & Neutral via Fan isolator switch installed outside bathroom, LS feed I have taken from the bathroom light switch.

If i understnad that right your saying you have supplied the Fan from two different sources.. permenant supply from the ring main and the switched supply from the bathroom light lighting.

If this is the case i suggest you take it back out and do it properly. You cant supply the fan from two different sources.

Also, adding to the above post. You didn't mention that you had gone via FCU when taking power from the ring to the fan isolator. Is the the case?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back