Which cable to use????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Sorry bout this people, but I need a few points clarifying about the answers given to my outside electrics post.

I was told that the best cable to use would be 2.5mm SWA cable but I only seem to be able to find T&E and I don't really want to have to purchase conduit to make it safe. What exactly is SWA cable and where can I get it from. Probably sound really stupid now but never mind lol

Secondly I want to make sure that the way I want to set-up my electrics is okay. I will spur a connection off of an existing socket in the house and trail it through a drilled hole in the masonry. The cable will be buried under the lawn towards the garage for approx. 15 meters, this will then be trailed through a drilled hole in the masonry of the garage. This connection will then be connected to a garage consumer unit. Two circuits will come off of this, one for the plug sockets (4 inside & 3 outside) and another for four light fittings inside the garage. If this is alright, then I was told that in order for it to be safe to spur this connection off of an existing socket that I should make sure that the garage is downstream, what exactly is meant by this.

And finnaly, when drilling through the masonry of the house, how can I be sure that I won't hit any electrical wires. I know that there is no plumbing running through that side of the house so that's okay. And right next to where I want to run the cable, the guy who fitted our sky dish drilled a hole. Does this mean it's safe.

Thanks for all your help guys and gals, it's much appreciated :) I probably have made myself seem like a right dunce, but electrics aren't my strong point. However, if you have any computer or computer network worries. Then send your questions my way. Thanks again and I appreciate all your help.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. If I chose not to connect it to the fuse box and chose to use a 13 amp RCD fused connection unit. Is it just as good, in terms of both reliability and safety.

And some more of my simpelton stupidity. Would I spur a connection off of the socket and into the fused connection unit using T&E cable and then another wire running off of that using SWA cable outside for the external circuit. If not how exactly does it work and how do you connect it.

Thanks for all your help.

Just to point out...you need to watch where you are placing the steel wired armoured (SWA) in the lawn.....don't want you digging into it with a garden fork later on now. Cant remember the actual depth but its somewhere around 2 feet deep...

So run your SWA from the board (i would recommend 4.0mm ain't that much different in price from 2.5mm any-hows)
Under your lawn into a 2/3 way consumer unit in your garage.
then wire your circuits as you wanted......

Happy Days.....just pick a sunny one to dig :LOL:

Sponsored Links
may i suggest that to be safe you call an electrician to install the swa cable for you, i find them easy (but i would) but they have to be done safely and right. you could save money by digging the trench for the cable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back