is my vent pipe in the wrong place (cold water feed)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hot water cylinder does not have a vent pipe coming from it's supply. So basically the hot water feed goes straight to the taps. However the cistern that supplies the hot water cylinder does have a vent pipe teeing off from it's supply to the hot water cylinder. I have never seen this before and was wondering if anyone knows if this is an acceptable position for the vent pipe or should I change it immediately????

Sponsored Links
Sorry but I'm not clear what you mean.

There is a pipe which goes out from the big cw cistern, into the hw cylinder, at the bottom. Do you mean there's a "vent" pipe teed into that which is taken up and over the cistern?
If so it's wrong; it won't let steam, in the event of an immersion heater's thermostat failure, or bubbles, in normal operation, escape from the cylinder.

Move it to the standard position!

the cistern that supplies the hot water cylinder does have a vent pipe teeing off from it's supply to the hot water cylinder
Are you sure that this cistern is not the Feed and Expansion tank for the heating system? It would be common to find a combined feed and vent pipe on those, but certainly not on the cold feed to a hot water cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back