Lead Mains & Leaking Mains Stopcock (-photos added)

Yes although the left one is an unknowm quantity, and the right one is less likey to leak when you pack the stuffing box.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.

Now I have more idea, I will try repacking sometime
-Right valve first, as I know the gland nut turns.

Although thread may be worn as when I tried tightening a little, nut was slipping & not tightening up tight.
(from what I remember)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As long as the gland nuts come off, I think I'll be ok and won't make things worse :!: :!: :) :) :( :( :oops: :oops: :?: :?:

When someone suggested repacking/tightening gland nut before
-I tightened Right gland nut, but noticed the small drip increased, so I stopped.

After that I was reluctant to disturb & certainly would not have taken gland nuts off,
as I thought valve innards would come out, making things worse.

I wouldn't have known to switch off valve & I think disturbing such an old valve without repacking, probably would do this.

Thanks
Jack

Just don't put too much in so the thread doesn't catch, may even pay you to pick the old stuff out

We'll see what happens.
I will let you know.

That's always a danger with repair jobs, doing a bit too much
ie. overtightening, using too much force, putting too much in when a little is enough.

Thanks again :)
Jack

Sponsored Links
Never seen owt so weird as your stop tap before.

This is the sort of job that scares me and I am a plumber... it could all go horribly wrong :!: ... and leave several flats without water.

I reckon you need the boundary stop tap locating, £ or not, and the lead replacing with blue poly.

Photos of the leaking stopcock on Lead mains: http://imageevent.com/jack999/leakingstopcock[/b]

leakydave said:
Never seen owt so weird as your stop tap before.

This is the sort of job that scares me and I am a plumber... it could all go horribly wrong :!: ... and leave several flats without water.

I reckon you need the boundary stop tap locating, £ or not, and the lead replacing with blue poly.

I'm AMAZED you plumbers haven't seen a stop tap like mine before.

I'm sure 100+ years ago they were all the rage !!
Stop taps in old Edwardian/Victorian houses often won't have been changed, surely.
(My house was built 1895).

Now I have got some advice, I think I know what to expect if I call someone in
-they'll want to take it out.

Could go horribly wrong, but it could be a simple repack.
It's a pity to replace old parts for the sake of a simple repair job or part.

These days these types of job a repairer don't want to mess about with
-just replace the old component.

IF I try to repair, I will only take off gland nuts if they come off without too much force.

Jack

After 110 years that lead will have become crystalline to some degree and lost it`s malleability ..If I knew by exactly how much I`d be a Metallurgist and earning a lot more :LOL:

And sometimes you only have to touch it and it turns into a garden sprinkler. :LOL:

Have your leadlocs and wetsuit on standby.

:LOL: And for the Grand Finale ...........It`s a Brighton Pattern stopcock...there is a metal to metal needle valve inside .When closed this allows the main valve to be re washered without further shutting down the water supply. This info may "needle" some, particularly as It was supplied by a Large Rabbit called ahhhh, Harvey :LOL: Come on you Cryptographers...are your brains agile enough to decipher this ,or do you need a powerflush ;)

Photos of the leaking stopcock on Lead mains: http://imageevent.com/jack999/leakingstopcock[/b]

Nige F said:
:LOL: And for the Grand Finale ...........It`s a Brighton Pattern stopcock...there is a metal to metal needle valve inside .When closed this allows the main valve to be re washered without further shutting down the water supply. This info may "needle" some, particularly as It was supplied by a Large Rabbit called ahhhh, Harvey :LOL: Come on you Cryptographers...are your brains agile enough to decipher this ,or do you need a powerflush ;)

I think you may need to decipher this for me ??

So, does the Left valve control this needle valve then ??
Can I repack leaking Left valve gland nut or have I had it ??

And guess where I am ??

What was that quiz on the TV for groups of workers, I'm sure there's a team of 12 plumbers at work on this.
I'm sure you plumbers are winding me up now !!

Thanks
Jack

I know who Harvey the rabbit is, though I won't be able to see him today.

But is Harvey the Plumber also a rabbit?

And does Jack live in Brighton?

Makes sense now we know :LOL: :LOL:

In the left hand valve is a seating which when turn off allows you to change the washer in the main body (right hand tap) without the need to isolate the mains externally :cool:

jack S the left hand will still be live so water is likely to squirt out unless you can shut it off. You may find if you slacken the gland nut the handle will turn, clockwise to turn off.

doitall said:
Makes sense now we know :LOL: :LOL:

In the left hand valve is a seating which when turn off allows you to change the washer in the main body (right hand tap) without the need to isolate the mains externally :cool:

jack S the left hand will still be live so water is likely to squirt out unless you can shut it off. You may find if you slacken the gland nut the handle will turn, clockwise to turn off.

I think what you are all saying is:
-the Left valve can completely switch off supply through Right valve,
to change the WASHER in Right valve main body.

1) Does this affect repacking Right valve gland nut ??
I don't think it does, does it ??
-Yes/No ??

As before for repacking Right valve:
-Switch off Right valve ( & Left valve can be in any position)
-Undo gland nut.
-Wrap 2 turns waxed string around spindle base (shank).
-Push string tight down into stuffing box (is this a groove ??).
-Screw in gland nut.
-Switch on Right valve

2) But, I think you are now saying the Left valve MUST be switched off to attempt repacking Left valve.
(And that switching off Right valve does not switch off supply to Left valve)

So now for repacking Left valve:
-Switch off Left valve ( & Right valve can be in any position)
-Undo gland nut.
-Wrap 2 turns waxed string around spindle base (shank).
-Push string tight down into stuffing box (is this a groove ??).
-Screw in gland nut.
-Switch on Left valve

-Is this correct ??

Thanks
Jack

Question 2.

the left valve turns both side off. the right valve turns just the right side off

doitall said:
Question 2.

the left valve turns both side off. the right valve turns just the right side off

Yes, that's what I'm basically saying.

You think slackening the Left gland nut a little may help in allowing Left handle to turn off ??

Thanks
Jack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back