Cutting an existing toilet waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am about to put in a new toilet - the existing waste pipe comes out from the wall about 9 inches. I need to trim off about 3 inches and then use one of those felxible waste pipe connectors.
How do i cut the existing pipe? From sight, bear in mind it\\\'s painted and got plaster all over it, it appears to be clay?!

Sponsored Links
Scrape some paint off and see what it's made of. Plastic you can cut with a saw. Cast iron is more difficult, clay (unlikely coming out of wall) even trickier.

They are usually cast iron and can be cut with a hacksaw but get a few spare blades. Have a look outside, or use a magnet to confirm it's cast iron.

If it's newer, it may be plastic which can be cut with a hacksaw or an ordinary wood saw with small teeth.

Never heard of a clay pipe above ground level.

Using a grinder is usually not possible in the confined space and the dust created indoors.

Just popped home - scraped away the paint and its grey underneath. When i tap it, it's a higher sound, more like pastic than cast iron. Which is good.
Never thought of the magnet thing....Dur! Will do that tonight. Will surprise me if its plastic though - its a 1908 house that hasn't had much done to it!

Sponsored Links
It could well be lead if its part of the original stack pipe. Scrape the paint off and see if it shines up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back