vibrating noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we keep hearing these load fog horn type noises, they come and go sometimes for no reason or sometimes if you turn the cold tap on. if you turn the hot tap the noise will stop, also the pipes vibrate. i live in a block of flats and the people above experiance the same problem can any one help

Sponsored Links
My cold water pipes have started to make a loud foghorn-type noise, although no amount of turning the taps on appears to help. I live on the top floor of a tenement and have the feeder tank in the roof space above me. I hear it fill from time-to-time and last night when it filled it seems to stop the noise, but this might have been a coincidence I suppose. Having only just got over the stress of moving house this is all I need! :cry:
I am going to go downstairs tonight and introduce myself to my new neighbours and see if they can hear all the noise, but any thoughts you may have so I look at least slightly knowledgeable in front of the plumber would be good.......
PS Combi boiler central heating system

Sponsored Links
I get that now and again on the (mains) cold water tap in the kitchen.

I wouldnt mind knowing what it is. I doubt if its an airlock though.

Normally high water pressure or a sudden surge of high pressure from time to time from outside mains water company.Try turning down the mains stopcock down.

Yes, i think someone once told me that it was pressure.

OK - stupid question time - d'you mean my mains stopcock in my flat, or the communal one which I presume is outside in the close? Maybe someone had turned the water off and have turned it back on too fiercely.

sounds a bit like water hammer...does it stop if you hold the ballcock?

"we keep hearing these load fog horn type noises, they come and go sometimes for no reason or sometimes if you turn the cold tap on. if you turn the hot tap the noise will stop, also the pipes vibrate. i live in a block of flats and the people above experiance the same problem can any one help"

I'm having the exact same problem in my flat - I also live in a block of flats. It happens very early am when my neighbour shaves/gets in the shower. What did you do to solve this - please help, driving me mad!!!

We had a foghorn noise occasionally, turned out to be the 'nozzle' in the toilet ballcock, there are high and low pressure ones depending if the ballcock is connected to mains or tank - we had the wrong one, and sometimes the flow set up some kind of resonance in the cold water suppl.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back