Noisy pipes - hot water in exp tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody...

About 10 days ago my partner and I started noticing a regular noise from the pipes when the CH was on.

Most noticeable when it rushed past the pump - definite sounds of air rushing.

Tried bleeding the radiators today, but the noise returned after the CH had been on for about an hour in the evening.

Checked all the rads and looked in the loft. Was greeted by a cloud of steam from the expansion tank.

Lid had shaken off, contents were HOT and steaming hot water and air blasting out of the down pipe on a regular basis - about once every two/three minutes. Water was rust red/brick red colour.

This probably isn\\\'t good, is it?

Can this be fixed by further bleeding or do we need engineer ASAP?

Sponsored Links
You need an engineer.....the worst bit is the red water :cry: Pure rust

Sounds like a failed boiler thermostat. Don't use in this condition.

I wouldn't worry too much about the red rust. It's probably of very recent origin as a consequence of boiler problem and oxygenated water.

Sponsored Links
chrishutt said:
Sounds like a failed boiler thermostat. Don't use in this condition.

I wouldn't worry too much about the red rust. It's probably of very recent origin as a consequence of boiler problem and oxygenated water.

Thanks for this - it's a Myson Housewarmer Elegant with backboiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back