cooker on ringmain question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would be grateful for anyone\\\'s opinion on this. I have bought a seperate cooker and hob, both electric. The hob is 7KW and I will connect that to the existing cooker outlet which i would also like to run a small appliance on through the cooker control unit which has a socket on it. I think I understand through reading the posts on this forum and other sources that I can connect the cooker which is 2.075KW to the downstairs ring main through a spur run from a plug socket via a fused switch unit. But am I correct that if I then turn on appliances such as the washer or the kettle that I will overload the 32Amp downstairs ring main. If so does anyone have any suggestions other than having a new curcuit run? ps sorry for it being a bit long winded.

Sponsored Links
anything under 3KW can be added to the ringmain. you might get the odd problem if you plug everything in, altho a 32A MCB doesnt trip at 32.0000001A. if you only have 1 ring main for the house you should consider adding another cooker circuit or use the existing for both (plug upto 3KW in), but make sure cable and breaker are adequate

Mostly it doesn't happen, because the oven (and the washing machine) have thermostats which turn the current off and on to keep the temperature stable. You can generally run three big appliances at the same time and be just inside the tolerance of your MCB, as soon as the kettle boils and turns off, or the oven reaches it temperature, it will stop taking current and you'll be well inside the rating.

However, if you have a tumble drier or an electric heater as well, they takes a lot of current for a long time.

Many thanks for the replies. Although I understand that you can plug any appliance upto 3KW into the ringmain and that is why the plugs are rated at 13AMPS but I am still confused how, disreguarding diversion, you can have the cooker, the washer and lets say the kettle again albeit for a short time all on full load and be drawing 6KW through the downstairs ringmain without tripping the 32AMP circuit breaker. Is this safe and does that not exeed the max load for the (I think) 2.5mm t&e on the circuit and if it does then why have 2.5mm on a 32AMP breaker? I am blindly assuming that this is acceptable otherwise it would'nt be installed.

Sponsored Links
The reason the 2.5mm T&E can be protected by your 32A MCB, is that, on a ring main, the current flows round two pieces of 2.5mm - one "going clockwise" and one "going antilockwise" round the ring.

(I know this is a bit of a simplification, but it explains how the cable is within its rating).

You could not use 2.5mm on a radial at 32A.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back