Junction boxes on cooker radial circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have found at least 3 30AMP junction boxes on the cooker circuit all just joining the circuit together. At least nothing else is comeing off them and I can only assume this was done becuase it may have been too difficult to fish one long cable. I understand this isn\\\'t ideal but i was wondering if it was safe enough to keep or is it a serious hazard.

Sponsored Links
mstt said:
I have found at least 3 30AMP junction boxes on the cooker circuit all just joining the circuit together. At least nothing else is comeing off them and I can only assume this was done becuase it may have been too difficult to fish one long cable. I understand this isn\\\'t ideal but i was wondering if it was safe enough to keep or is it a serious hazard.

poviding all terminations are done correctly they will be fine, altho all JB's should be accessable for inspection. it being a long cable run is NO excuse to install it in 3 places

Thanks Andy, I have checked two of them and the terminals are tight. Is it ok so long as they can't arc. I will check the other one as well. I was wondering if you would be kind enough to have a look at my other question as well. I can't figure out how to quote like you just did so it's the last reply under "cooker on ringmain question". Much oblieged[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Basically, I was wondering whether a 32 amp MCB would be okay to protect a 30 amp junction box (as you can't get a 30 amp MCB or a 32 amp junction box)?

Asking as I have a similar setup (though only a single 30 amp junction box to accomodate moving of oven - replacement of entire length of cable would have been too disruptive).

Thanks in advance for any advice, Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back