TRV’s fitted to the return end of my radiators in error

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think half my TRV’s have been fitted to the return end of my radiators in error.

Before I change them can anyone confirm: -
1. Does the flow valve pipe always heat up several minutes before the return pipe and is this a reliable way to identify the flow pipe (rather than costly lifting laminate flooring & floorboards to check)?
2. Should all my TRV’s be on the flow pipe of my radiators?
3. Could having some the wrong way round be why it is difficult to balance the system and 3 radiators keep going cold/shy?
4. The jargon is very confusing to the DIYer, as different names are used - sometimes in the same article. Have I got all these in the correct order?
· flow (aka:-in/feed/inlet/control valve/TRV)
· return (aka:- out/outlet/lockshield valve)

Sponsored Links
1. Yes and yes.
2. Not unless they're uni-directional. Most new TRVs are bi-directional so flow direction doesn't matter.
3. No.
4. Yes, but that's not the only possible order - see above.

Some of TRV's will be 10 or even 20 + yera old. But I assume if they were uni-directional those radiators would not heat up very much at all?

Many thanks for the quick and helpful reply. It has saved me changing them.

I will continue my search elsewhere for the gremlins in my CH system.

Sponsored Links
But I assume if they were uni-directional those radiators would not heat up very much at all?
Why assume that?
I will continue my search elsewhere for the gremlins in my CH system.
Try looking at sticking TRVs in the FAQ topic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back