sticky seat!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can help. I have a van with a sliding rear seat that no longer slides with ease. What type of spray or lubrication would be best to use? Obviously it needs to be a 'dry' lube of some sorts so that dust and dirt won't get caught up and stop it from sliding. The seat has 'plastic' 'feet' that sits on and slides on a metal frame fixed to the van's floor. Any ideas?. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What has been used by us is WD40 to free it off and plenty of TLC,if you are concrened about oily residues clean it of with a degreasing agent ie brake dust cleaner easily bought over the shelf at any car shop.I'd still be prone to leave the WD on though because the degreaser will dry out the runners,hope this helps.

WD should do the trick, if not try a PTFE based spray, that should sort things out for you.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that - should I try wd40 first? There is nothing to unstick I only need to reduce the friction between the seat feet and the painted metal foor frame and I would assume that WD40 would need to be cleaned off before using the PTFE spray.
Also where could I get a can of PTFE spray? I have been into a car shop locally who couldn't help. Any ideas? Cheers.

Try Maplins. Silicone based cockpit cleaner like Back to Black might be worth a try also.

Windygriff:

If in future you're looking for a lubricant that dust won't stick to at all, then go to any locksmith and buy some graphite powder.

NEVER ever never use any kind of oil inside a lock. The dust sticks to the oil and gums up the internal workings of the lock. Also, in cold weather the increase in viscosity of the oil can make the lock difficult to work. The ONLY lubricant to use inside any sort of lock is graphite powder. Graphite is a natural lubricant, that dust won't stick to and whose lubricating properties are unaffected by temperature. You can also buy "Dry Graphite" in aerosol spray cans (so named because the propellant fluid evaporates completely leaving only the dry graphite powder behind) in hardware stores.

(The reason why graphite is a natural lubricant is because it forms sheets with the carbon atoms arranged in hexagonal shapes, kinda like a Buckeyball split open and spread out flat. The distance between these sheets is far enough so that they can slide over each other without the atoms in neighboring sheets hitting each other. Graphite is kinda like a new deck of playing cards.)

Agree with keyplayer...grease for a van's sliding seat

noodlz said:
Agree with keyplayer...grease for a van's sliding seat

I'm not talking about the front seats but a rear seat/bed that slides the full length of the van and the reason I can't use grease is that because the seat sits 'on' not 'in' the runners, grease would collect all the dirt, dust, dog hair, kid's food, etc and eventually clog up or the kid's would start 'finger painting' grease faces on the windows!! Thanks anyway.

Sponsored Links
Back