can\\\'t undo taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have mixer taps and have removed covers the thread on the nuts has been ruined,they are nearly round,i can\\\'t remove them,HELP! :!:

Sponsored Links
diydope said:
the thread on the nuts has been ruined
I don't quite understand what you're saying.

Has the hexagon shape of a nut become rounded?
If so, then which nut?

Or has a thread become damaged?
If so, then which thread?

Also, what type of mixer tap are you removing? Is it a two-hole or one-hole tap?

Diydope:

Your best plan is just to replace the faucet.

Get a rag and wrap it around a hack saw blade to make a handle, and plan to spend a long lonely evening cutting the faucet off from the top side.

Tape a piece of sheet metal down on top of the sink to protect the finish of the sink from the hack saw so you don't leave it marred and scratched.

What's happened is that the brass nut under the sink has seized in place and can't be turned. When you install the new faucet install PLASTIC rosette nuts (which serve as BOTH rosettes and the nut that holds the rosette tight to the underside of the sink). The plastic ones are superior because they don't rust and you can always remove them.

I use a piece of square cross section steel I picked up free from a welding shop to tighten those plastic rosette nuts. Take a plastic rosette nut to any welding shop and they'll set you up with something that will work.

PS: I've spent my fair share of time cutting faucets off from above with a hack saw blade, so I know it can be a long, tiring experience, but it's pretty well the only option now.

I'm assuming you mean the hex which becomes visible when youtake the cap off the tap is rounded. If they're standard rotating type taps you may well find that the valves(ALLthe brass parts) are replaceable for a few pounds.
When things are tight most plumbers apply heat, and then a big pair of grips. 99.9% of things will then come undone! You may have to hold the tap still, which can be tricky.

Sponsored Links
Big Pair of Grips or a small pair of stillsons they are self gripping - the more force on the handle, the more they bite;)

Nestor_Kelebay - just curious - have you managed to decipher the posting and understand which thing is damaged and/or seized? If so, which is it?

For the benefit of the east-of-Atlantic readers, I hope you don't mind me pointing out a couple of English quirks....

faucet == tap
rosette nut == backnut

IMO plastic backnuts are inferior to brass ones, because they're weaker.

However, monobloc kitchen mixers almost always have a horseshoe shaped backplate and a nut on a stud that screws into the underside of the tap body - backnuts (aka rosettes) generally only appear on bath and basin taps.

One more thing - brass doesn't rust.

Softus said:
Nestor_Kelebay - just curious - have you managed to decipher the posting and understand which thing is damaged and/or seized? If so, which is it?

The post says that this question originated from the How To page entitled "Fitting New Taps" which partially reads:

"Use a basin wrench (crowsfoot spanner) or a tap tool to undo the nut, which connects the supply pipes to the taps. Some water will come from the pipes, so have a cloth ready. Once the supply pipes have been removed use the same tool to loosen the nut that is holding the taps onto the bath/basin - the single taps will have to be stopped from turning during this process. Once the taps have been removed the holes in the bath/basin have to be cleaned of any old sealing compound."

Dictionary:
rosette nut == "the nut that is holding the taps onto the bath/basin"
rosette == the thing that goes on before the rosette nut when installing the taps
Plastic rosette nut == a large plastic nut that replaces both the rosette and the rosette nut.

I think the original poster didn't realize that the instructions: "use the same tool to loosen the nut that is holding the taps onto the bath/basin" is often much easier said than done. Those instructions should have had a warning that this can sometimes be impossible to do.

"For the benefit of the east-of-Atlantic readers, I hope you don't mind me pointing out a couple of English quirks....

faucet == tap
rosette nut == backnut

IMO plastic backnuts are inferior to brass ones, because they're weaker."

Softus:
How much strength do you need to hold a faucet in place. No one's going to be pulling on it. I use the plastic ones in my building, and so far after about 5 or 6 years, have had no problem at all with them.
The problem we have here in North America is that you can buy the brass rosette nuts, but NOT brass rosettes. You can only buy regular steel rosettes, not even stainless steel rosettes. So, if you don't use a plastic rosette nut, your only option is to use a regular steel rosette and tighten it with a brass rosette nut. And, of course, after a few years, the steel rosette rusts out and the faucet becomes loose, and you have to start disconnecting the connections to the hot and cold sides to replace the old rusted steel rosettes with new ones. So, now I put plastic ones in, and if the faucet loosens up, I just tighten them. And they work fine.

"However, monobloc kitchen mixers almost always have a horseshoe shaped backplate and a nut on a stud that screws into the underside of the tap body - backnuts (aka rosettes) generally only appear on bath and basin taps."

That's what I'm thinking this person is trying to remove; a 4 inch bathroom sink faucet or an 8 inch kitchen sink faucet, not a single lever faucet.

"One more thing - brass doesn't rust."
Yeah, I know, but steel does. I wish we could get brass rosettes here, we can't. Over here we can only get ordinary steel rosettes, and I presumed it was the same situation over there.

It's really hard to read your posting because of the way that you quote - have you tried using the forum's built-in quoting feature?

For example, if I write this:

[ quote="Softus"]Here's some quoted text[ /quote]

but without space after each square bracket , then it comes out as follows:

Softus said:
Here's some quoted text

Nestor_Kelebay said:
Dictionary:
rosette nut == "the nut that is holding the taps onto the bath/basin"
rosette == the thing that goes on before the rosette nut when installing the taps
Plastic rosette nut == a large plastic nut that replaces both the rosette and the rosette nut.
Sounds like the Canadian "rosette" equates to a "top hat washer" in the UK.

Nestor_Kelebay said:
I think the original poster didn't realize that the instructions: "use the same tool to loosen the nut that is holding the taps onto the bath/basin" is often much easier said than done. Those instructions should have had a warning that this can sometimes be impossible to do.
Er, this topic is about a kitchen sink, not a bath/basin. The instructions that you're quoting refer to the latter.

Nestor_Kelebay said:
Softus said:
IMO plastic backnuts are inferior to brass ones, because they're weaker."
How much strength do you need to hold a faucet in place. No one's going to be pulling on it.
That's odd - in my experience people do pull on them. Mostly, it's small people, known as children.

Nestor_Kelebay said:
I use the plastic ones in my building, and so far after about 5 or 6 years, have had no problem at all with them.
OK.

Nestor_Kelebay said:
The problem we have here in North America is that you can buy the brass rosette nuts, but NOT brass rosettes. You can only buy regular steel rosettes, not even stainless steel rosettes. So, if you don't use a plastic rosette nut, your only option is to use a regular steel rosette and tighten it with a brass rosette nut. And, of course, after a few years, the steel rosette rusts out and the faucet becomes loose, and you have to start disconnecting the connections to the hot and cold sides to replace the old rusted steel rosettes with new ones. So, now I put plastic ones in, and if the faucet loosens up, I just tighten them. And they work fine.
That's still not an argument for using plastic instead of brass.

In the UK we have plastic top hat washers, which don't rust. But these apply to basin and bath taps, not to kitchen sink taps.

Nestor_Kelebay said:
Softus said:
However, monobloc kitchen mixers almost always have a horseshoe shaped backplate and a nut on a stud that screws into the underside of the tap body - backnuts (aka rosettes) generally only appear on bath and basin taps.
That's what I'm thinking this person is trying to remove; a 4 inch bathroom sink faucet or an 8 inch kitchen sink faucet, not a single lever faucet.
You're making an assumption that doesn't hold true in the UK - a monobloc tap can have two handles and no lever.

Nestor_Kelebay said:
Softus said:
"One more thing - brass doesn't rust.
Yeah, I know, but steel does. I wish we could get brass rosettes here, we can't. Over here we can only get ordinary steel rosettes, and I presumed it was the same situation over there.
It isn't - see above - but this doesn't apply to kitchen sinks anyway.

Softus:

How do you know this is a monoblock mixer tap in a kitchen?

I'm reading the text where this question supposedly originated from and it reads as follows:

"Introduction
Fitting new taps is required either because it is part of the installation of a new bath/basin, or because the taps on a bath/basin have become old and worn or simply for cosmetic reasons. The type of taps you can have are dependent upon your bath / basin.
If there is one hole for the taps, then you will require a mono-bloc mixer (these have two smaller diameter pipes coming out of the single hole for hot and cold). If there is two holes then you can have separate hot / cold taps or a two hole mixer (two taps one spout). Some mixers also have a lever on them for controlling the plug (i.e. opening and closing)."

Diydope said he has "mixer taps". Where does it say that it's what you call a "mono-bloc" mixer, and where does it say that these "mixer taps" are on the kitchen sink and not the bathroom sink?

I never thought, let alone wrote, that I knew he has a monobloc, nor am I assuming that he has.

My mention of monobloc was intended to point out that you were assuming the use of backnuts.

This was one of many assumptions that you've made, not the least of which is that we knew what on earth a "rosette" was when you first referred to one.

Another assumption is that UK backnuts can be driven by a box spanner made of square section tubing; well they can't, because they have need a hexagon box spanner or a tool that we generally call a basin wrench.

Because of your increasingly speculative assumptions, coupled with the fact that the OP has posted only once, I will not be adding anything else until we have more facts on this topic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back