Noisy pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With central heating working I get intermittent humming / rattling noise coming from pipes. It will stop when I turn the hot water on. I have a combi boiler. Any ideas what the problem is and how it can be solved?

Sponsored Links
Do you have a room thermostat?

Do you have have TRVs everywhere by any chance?

Sponsored Links
One possibility is that one or more of the TRVs is not seating properly, and letting through a small amount of water at high speed - hence the noise.

Another is that system doesn't have bypass circuit.

A bypass is very often, but not always, a manual valve. e.g. gate valve, on a short section of 15mm pipework that circumvents the MZV (motorized zone valve) in the airing cupboard.

If you have one of those, make sure that it's not completely closed. How far to open it depends on several attributes of your system, so we would need to know more about it before advising, but a reasonable rule of thumb is between half and a full turn from the fully closed position. If it's a gate valve then exclude any hysteresis (sloppiness) in the handle movement from the 1/2 to 1 turn.

Search for bypass on the forum, or post full details of your system here if this doesn't answer your question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back