painting plastic waste pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can some one reccomend a process,in order to paint plastic,exterior soil/waste pipes ? colour to match existing black pipes on rest of property.
many thanks

Sponsored Links
Zinsser's makes a sticky emulsion primer called "Bullseye 123" which they boast will stick to a wide variety of smooth and otherwise hard-to-stick-to materials, like glazed ceramic wall tiles and high gloss polyurethane.

I'd use a 3 inch paint roller sleeve to prime your plastic pipes with Bullseye 123, then top coat with whatever you want.

Zampa apparantly has found Bullseye 123 available in the paint stores in the UK. You may have to phone around for it, tho.

jacko57 said:
Can some one reccomend a process,in order to paint plastic,exterior soil/waste pipes ? colour to match existing black pipes on rest of property.
many thanks
Hi jacko. The reccomended system for painting plastic pipes/guttering is; to clean off any algae, or wipe over with a rag soaked in white spirit dont abrade, and give one/two coats of high gloss strait onto plastic, no primer needed. The gloss should be thinned and applied with a longish bristled brush (not an old scrubber) apply with loaded brush and dont brush out too far but keep it even and check for saggs/ runs as you go. usually find black gloss is the way to go
good luck

Sponsored Links
I'm with conf, but I'd add, the non-drip gloss goes on well. No undercoat or primer. Mine needs recoating every ten years, but it doesn't come off, just loses its gloss (I live in a sunny marine area).

JohnD said:
I'm with conf, but I'd add, the non-drip gloss goes on well. No undercoat or primer. Mine needs recoating every ten years, but it doesn't come off, just loses its gloss (I live in a sunny marine area).

Yep...straight gloss is really the best way...the reason the gloss might lose its sheen is becasue its non drip and doesnt always have quite the deep sheen of traditional gloss.

I do a lot of exterior work and always use Dulux Satin Black Weathershield. Looks superb on all exterior plastics and facias. And is water based too.

4 years too late...not bad..is this a new record?

It could LOOK like a new record if one was coated with that Weathershield :idea: Might not play very well tho` ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back