black gunk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My whirlpool dishwasher is only about 3 years old. Over the past few months a horrible black gunk has started collecting all over drains and filters. It is disgusting and a pain to clean out. Indeed, it never really looks clean. Dishes come out clean looking, but I am grossed out. What can be wrong?

Sponsored Links
So what was the deal? Did you ever figure this out? I am having the same problem.

Thanks

I doubt whether lichenwood is still checking for posts - his/her post is 2 years old! Anyway this thread ought to be transferred to the "appliances" forum.

chrishutt said:
I doubt whether lichenwood is still checking for posts - his/her post is 2 years old! Anyway this thread ought to be transferred to the "appliances" forum.
and it`s from America :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Do you find a solution for this ?.

I have a Philips Whirlpool with the same problem and already try everything but I can not get out of the black (grease,oil,etc) dirt .

any sugestion ?????

might want to try some solvents to dissolve the grease, rather than ever stronger detergents to wash it away. have you tried any ?

May well be that it isn't draining properly, or, the drain pipe isn't looped up, so filth from the drain connection is running down into the d/wr.

Obviously these people must have removed and cleaned their filters and any particles from the washer arm holes.

I haven't experienced this with my dw/rs, but I don't use much cooking oil, and wipe any fat from roasting or grill pans pans with kitchen paper rolls, and put it in the bin. I once saw a kitchen sink trap that had greasy pans tipped down it, it was horrible.

Thanks for your answers , however I really cleaned the filters periodically and also the inside of the machine to remove the biggest amount of the gunk\grease. From the plastics parts even with very hot water and detergent it is difficult to remove. At one time I supposed it was some rubber that is damaged and the gunk could be parts of it .I replaced the door rubber and inspect all other and find no one bad.
About the drain I already have it making a curve about 10 cm of the upper part of the machine . I run the machine with Caustic Soda (perhaps not correctly spelling ) but it did not make any harm to the gunk .
Do you have any suggestion about the strong detergent ?. Could this be an enzyme or something alike ??? .Could it be that the machine is not warming the water to the proper temperature and even the detergent is not actuating properly . Do you know what it the water temperature that I should get into the machine ?.

Thanks

AAL said:
Do you find a solution for this ?.

I have a Philips Whirlpool with the same problem and already try everything but I can not get out of the black (grease,oil,etc) dirt .

any sugestion ?????

try makin a new thread. this is 2 years old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back