Power to Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to run power to a detatched garage via 6mm swa cable.and install a consumer unit in garage
How deep do i need to bury cable?
Thanks
The second question if someone can help.
I have asked a few people with no success.
In the outside utilities box where the meter is there is also a isolating switch. Can i run the swa cable from this box if i install a tail splitter and a seperate switch to the swa cable garage supply?
The reason being the inside house consumer unit is a difficult to access and don't realy want to mess up brand new home
reagrds
Ps can supply picture of current set up if neccssarry

Sponsored Links
You can split the tails, after the isolating switch. Fit a 30A switchfuse, and run the SWA from this to the garage. But your DNO (electric distribution ppl) might not like you fitting extra equipment in their box. Might be best to fit the switchfuse elsewhere.

Cable should be about 18 inches deep. And put some warning tape over the cable, at about 6-12 inches deep.

Will you be getting a test certificate for this work?

Yes you need a certificate for this work. Unless I have misread, you wish to take your feed from the DNO isolator and then through a switch. If you mean a switch fuse then this would be ok otherwise your SWA will only be protected by the cut-out fuse!. No offence but it would be a lot less hassle for you to get a registered electrician to safely carry out, certificate and notify BC for you all in one!

Sponsored Links
[quote="PompeySparks

No offence taken.
Many years ago i did my time as a spark in the mines so i do have a basic knowledge. BUT out of touch with rules and regs.
Yes i do intend to take the swa from a seperate fused switch.
And one of the reasons i want to do this myself i have nothing better to do and i will enjoy doing it.
Do you think if i do this correctly i could pay a qualified electrian to certify the work?

Fair enough - I didn't realise you had previous experience. You may find it difficult to find an Electrician willing to certify the work as they will not have overseen all of the installation (you may have damaged the SWA prior to burying it etc). Your best chance is to talk to your Electrician before work commences so that they can inspect your work at each stage...

You may still have difficulty in getting somebody to do this at all in which case you will need to contact your local building control to see if they will accept a Peridoical Inspection Report done by an Electrician when you are finished.

If they agree then the notification will cost £80-£250 (area dependent) and the PIR will cost £100-£300 (spark dependent). You may be lucky enough to have a building control who will inspect & certificate for you (removing the need for a PIR but this varies from area to area and many BC's want you to provide a certificate AND pay notification!). Unfortunately, this is the extent of the new building regulations!

That is why I say it may be less hassle (and money, once you include your own materials and time) to contact a registered Electrician

I was not criticising your own competence - you sound like you know enough to carry out the work!

PompeySparks said:
Don't wish to sound cocky not that sort of person.
If i choose not to get the work certified, what the heck (as long as i know i carried out the work safley and correctly.
?

Scotland is a PP clear zone, but there may be other requirements.

They should change the flag colours to ours and theirs, it would make life much easier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back