TRVs and Towel Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd appreciate it if someone could explain whether it's ok to fit TRVs to towel rail style radiators (plumbed into a gravity fed central heating system). I'm a bit confused as to why, when searching online for towel rails, towel rail valves are always listed separately to TRVs. IS it important to use proprietary valves with towel rails? Or will a common-or-garden TRV do the job? Now that I've gone to the effort of ensuring the BTUs match those of the radiators I'm replacing, I'd like to be able to control the heat output of towel rails I'm about to fit...

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
if the towel rail is on the gravity then you mustnt fit a trv on it as it was installed as a bypass for when the water is on demand only?

sorry

Towel Rail Valves are just fancy rad valves....Thermo valves are ok .by gravity feed do you mean system is fed from a small tank in roof?

Since towel rails are often covered by towels (funny things people do!) their heat output is reduced by the insulating effect and a TRV would not be much use. However there's no reason why you shouldn't fit a normal TRV provided the circulation is pumped.

Sponsored Links
chrishutt said:
Since towel rails are often covered by towels (funny things people do!) their heat output is reduced by the insulating effect and a TRV would not be much use. However there's no reason why you shouldn't fit a normal TRV provided the circulation is pumped.
Yeah, But they`re sometimes uncovered and then.....trv would stop the room overheating.......sometimes ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back