Shower Cable Size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting an 8.5Kw shower in a downstairs shower room. I have read varying repoorts regarding the size of cable to use and need some clarification. Is the maximum length 18 metres, 20 metres, or what? Please advise, Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's the voltage drop that you need to consider. If the cable's big enough, it can be very long (though perhaps a little impractical). The voltage drop gives rise to power dissipated in the cable.

I can't give you the correct figures as I don't have the 16th IEE regs, and I don't know what the changes are since the 15th.

Sponsored Links
My 2-pennorth:

Even if the calculations show that you need 6mm, install 10mm.

It's a pain to work with, but less of a pain than having to rip out the 6mm and put 10mm in anyway when you fit a bigger shower, which you will next time.....

Sorry to use someone elses post but can you guys possibly tell the size of a cable from a picture? I'm not sure wether mine is 6 or 10mm. Or can I find out by measuring the thickness of the entire cable including the sheathing?

Extrasolar said:
Sorry to use someone elses post but can you guys possibly tell the size of a cable from a picture? I'm not sure wether mine is 6 or 10mm. Or can I find out by measuring the thickness of the entire cable including the sheathing?

there is a big difference between them so yes probrably

AR

were the cable is run eg in walls/through loft insulation etc can also have a large effect on the current carrying capicity of the cable

:idea:

Extrasolar said:
You should have one of these:

7933_l.jpg

available from here

Not just for this particular instance - it's a generally useful tool, only a tenner, and unless you're a mechanic or an engineer, robust and accurate enough.

10mm t&e cable is roughly 18mm wide (looking at a roll of it now, think its me crimble prezzy !!)

Scoby_Beasley said:
10mm t&e cable is roughly 18mm wide (looking at a roll now, think its me crimble prezzy !!)

well don't eat it all at once :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back