No soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bungalow is from the 1950\\\'s and has no wc vent anywhere. When flushed the water goes below the s bend, but no smells. How can I fit a stack pipe? geth

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the water level in the WC trap seems too low? How long has it been like that?

What happens if you top the water up with a jug?

Hi,
The reason for wanting a stack is we want :p to convert the loft and include a bathroom - geth

Sponsored Links
The water goes below the s bend but fills up to normal level. I've only been in the house since december geth

most likely the drains run alongside the house, starting at the kitchen or bathroom, and running towards the road. there is also a chance that they connect up with one or more neighbours, in which case they may run behind the house. If you find some manhole covers you should be able to work out the run. If you see the soil pipes coming through the wall and going into the ground this may be a good place to add a stack.

Probably someone will need to excavate down to these and add a junction; or join inside a manhole.

Not really a DIY job.

Yes I know where the pipes and are connected and run from both neighbours into mine. (I had the pleasure of rodding the drains before Xmas.) I do most things but for plastering and bricklaying, not good! The type of connection is my problem? thnx geth

Geth said:
Yes I know where the pipes and are connected and run from both neighbours into mine. (I had the pleasure of rodding the drains before Xmas.) I do most things but for plastering and bricklaying, not good! The type of connection is my problem? thnx geth
our prob is we can`t see :LOL: can you post some pics.

Geth wrote
The water goes below the s bend but fills up to normal level.

Probably a syphonic type of toilet. They do this to empty the bowl.

Better to leave existing arrangement alone and connect new soil stack/pipe into an existing manhole.

previous similar posts suggest that this work is subject to building control but no doubt what you intend requires this anyway. Ceiling joists will probably need beefed up to support loads on new upper floor. Best to consult structural engineer at this stage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back