Crumbling Grout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After feeling very pleased with myself for tiling my bathroom floor a couple of weeks ago, I have now noticed that the surface of some grouting lines are beginning to crumble. Does anyone know what could be causing this? and is it enough to rake out the offending area and re-grout? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Is it on a wooden floor that could be moving? A ply subfloor is best in a bathroom.

Also the grout and adhesive for wooden surfaces is not the same as for walls and concrete floors, as they move more.

Tiling Newbie
did you use one of the DIY sheds grout tub mix ... ?

awful stuff ...

It is a wooden floor. The existing build up is chipboard over the joists then a layer of hardboard, I put down a layer of 5mm ply on top of that.

I used a unibond 'tile on floors' quick grout and mixed it myself. It does not specify a floor type on the bag, but I was told by the expert in B&Q that it would be fine for wooden floors. hmm...

Sponsored Links
Seems like another good example of why you shouldn't patronise places like B&Q. The staff don't know their a@@e from their elbow!

Tiling Newbie

never use the DIY sheds , go to topps tiles or a local tile shop ,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back