Banging Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one radiator than whenever i turn the thermostatic valve up very high, the pipes leading to it bang every 30 seconds or so really loudly - its driving me insane. I have tried covering them with felt and using pipe clips to nail them down (as much as I can) but none of this seems to work. The radiator works fine so I dont think its air in the pipes. PLEASE HELP

Sponsored Links
First try turning down the valve at the other end of the radiator. If it's near the boiler try just 1/4 turn open.

Thank you for your advice - I tried adjusting the valve on the other side but unless it was almost completely off (and therefore not a lot of heat coming out) the noise didn't stop.

Sponsored Links
In that case it's probably a thermostatic valve problem. It could be the head or the valve. Try taking the head off and move the pin on the valve by pressing down on it. It should move smoothly and return when released. It may be the head if the valve is ok. Try swapping the head with another from your system to isolate the fault, then you need change only the faulty bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back