Removing a double glassed unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can someone tell how to get a double glassed unit out of a PVC window (CR Smith)
Thank you any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
One side of the window will have beads which pop off with the help of a couple of filling knives,the other side will have a wedge gasket(rubber seal) or security tape.
I'm guessing u will have wedge gasket if so remove this first prying out gently with a flat screwdriver works for me then the unit will be loose,nows the time to pop the beads off and carefully remove your unit.Refitting is the opposite using a clean peice of wood maybe to tap the wedge gasket back in last off all.
If security tape is used its normally on the inside and you will see it between the unit and frame normally 2-3 mm thick post back if you have this and i will try to help out (its almost as simple).

following on from sashwizard, if they are gasket type, it helps to lubricate the gaskets before re-installing, as this is how they would have been when new. oh, don't forget which way round the gasket goes as both sides are similar but not the same.

and take out or put back the longest sides last as they have the most flexibility

Sponsored Links
Hi
Thank you all for you help, will be having a go at this in the next few weeks need to get the new units made first
Thanks again

You will have to take out the old unit to get the correct size
Height X width X thickness, any glass above 800mm from floor level must be toughened.
JonB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back