Loft Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thinking of renewing my loft insulation with polystyrene boards. I am querying whether I need a special type of board, to meet building regs.

Thanks

Huw

Sponsored Links
Not sure about this one,best to ring your local building control for free advice as polystyrene boards are not fire-proof so I don't think it's acceptable but I may be wrong.

Kingspan insulation with the silver foil skin is widely used in roof spaces so it must have approval but it is way more expensive than polystyrene.

I've got some boards which I think are called "F board". They are used for external insulation and I understand they are polystyrene. They are fireproof, (well I can put a blowlamp on them for a few minutes and they don't burn, and that's with my hand behind.

Does anyone know any more about them?

Sponsored Links
Is there anything wrong with insulating a loft hatch with 2" polystryene - the stuff that breaks off beads as you scratch it? I remember somehting as a kid about fire risk but can't see that's significant for a cover in the loft. Can I paint the stuff to seal in the 'beads'?
Stee

Since there are other much safer materials than this about, I wouldn't have it in the house. The things you have in a house are pretty dangerous anyway, but this stuff is the pits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back