Halstead Ace High

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having just replaced 3 rads/rad valves and trv\\\'s, I then set about firing up the boiler which was working fine before. The correct led\\\'s came on, the boiler fired for 5 seconds and then shut down followed by a flickering power led. What have I done wrong...? Any advice would be very much appreciated..! :?:

Sponsored Links
An air lock or sludge blockage. Does the boiler work OK on hot water?

Another example of a newby with an NVQ letting himself loose on the public when he does not have the experience to do even simple jobs?

I have no idea what he has failed to do. Many newbees forget to turn off the boiler when they drain the system and it overheats and trips an o/h stat ( although I dont remember that cheapo model having one! ).

Tony

Sponsored Links
Yes it does have a resetable oh stat, just inside I think it's on the left but over a year since I saw one so couldn't be sure.

The boilers are OK but spares cost an arm and a leg, I payed nearly £50 for a pair of ntc's.

To Tony/Agile

Firstly, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit ,
Secondly, you come across as a god damn twit,
Thirdly, your looking down from your own pedestal,
Fourthly, be careful as one day you may well fall,
Who are you to put down anothers affordabilty,
Then you associate your own name with agility.?

Don't make me laugh yer twot...! :D

To the rest of you that commented, Thank You,

I always like to hear other views and experiences. the guy that mentioned the very expensive parts for these boilers, too true, £15 for a couple of nobs from Curzon..! Always helps if the customer doesn't snap the nobs off..!!!

On this occasion overtiredness made me panic, 10 hours later we were up and running again and another happy customer who will be recomending my services. :LOL:

We all suffer failures. I went to a micro Genus today intermitent hot water performance, all I did was fit a domestic ntc and the darned thing wouldn't come on for heating. Customer swore blind it was fine for heating before I arrived. pcb lights were incicating it was up to temp, so I switched the heating sensor leeds into the new domestic ntc (same part) and same fault, so removed it alltogether, in this mode boiler should fire, but same fault.

So it had to be the pcb. rang Gas Spares Preston and ordered one. Meanwhile with customer adamant I have just broken his boiler in my face, I decided nothinbg to loose so out came pcb, saw 5 dry joints, resouldered them (I know, Agile will say we aren't meant to do that, but like him I have an electronics backlground and I'll stand in any court and prove more competence than the numpties who design these pcb's). On puting it back together it all worked correctly. Then I could go on and check maximum gas rate which was wrong at 16mBar (might have been wrong from new), set it correct, advised a desludging but wasn't taken up on it, got paid and went home.

Tomorrow I will own a microGenus pcb, what I was paid for my time is less than half the cost of the part that will float around in my van until it's broken.

Often I find calls to broken boilers are a loss leader to the business.

The over hype on tv about dodgy tradesmen has added fuel to the fire which burns in the customers eyes that once you as a professional have touched something it has to be one simple thing wrong and anything else you are at fault.

Many times by the time you get to a fault there are 3 or 4 things wrong.

I was discussing this with a local guy who does only insurance work. He says what he does is just get it running and ignores the other faults, so that he gets another call out later. (and well remunerated by insurance company for it)

I get this problem on mine sometimes.....it usually clears itself with a couple of resets.......just stick with it for 10 mins....these are temperamental to say the least........you usually find once there okay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back