Losing Pressure, Sealed System, Check List

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are lots of post on here about losing pressure from sealed systems, what I was wondering is, is there a check list that you plumbers go through to work out the most probably cause right through to the most obscure.

My system losses pressure & I accept that I have to top it up every 2/3 months.

This could be something put on as a ‘sticky’

Sponsored Links
Check easiest things first:

Boiler auto air vent - often slight leak (if within combustion chamber the water will often evaporate off - Corgi job)

Boiler heat exchanger

Boiler safety release valve

General pipework leaks on boiler - some boilers are very incontinent eg. Ocean FF, Saunier Duvals,

Isolating valves on boiler

Radiator valve spindles - especially all non BS2767 Pt10 valves ie most valves fitted round my patch.

Thermostatic valve spindles (remove heads to check)

Valve connections to radiators/pipework

Zone valve spindles

Any other valves (bypass/lockshield/ballofix especially)

All visible pipework/joints

Expansion vessel gradually losing air pressure (quality vessels will hold their pressure over a few years, some however may require significant inflating every year). Vessel should be re-charged to correct pressure and re-checked at a later date - perhaps 3 months later. You can then get some idea of pressure loss.

All invisible pipework/joints ie rip up floor etc

Pipework may have to be isolated in sections to find leak.
Suspect pipework if joints covered in snot.
If a sealed system wind up pressure to just below 3 bar - may help find the leak quicker (don't run the system at this pressure though)

AND... air sucked in which will vent through AAV resulting in pressure loss.

Install Fernox Internal Leak Sealant which should seal the leak you have.

David

Sponsored Links
Diyisfun said:
My system losses pressure & I accept that I have to top it up every 2/3 months.
It will be a very tiny leak if it causes a problem only every 2 to 3 months.

Never the less it will theoretically reduce the life expectancy of your system and should be sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back