Single Oven (2.8Kw)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to install a built in single oven with a power rating of 2.8Kw, my question is this can I safely plug this into a double socket on a ring circuit? and if so should i replace this socket with a cooker control (FCU) unit with an integral socket, or run the cooker control unit off a spur? or do i need to run a radial circuit on either a 30amp or 45amp fuse?

Sponsored Links
I have to say it's a little worrying that you're contemplating this work when you can't even divide 2800 by 230.....

Hi Ban, thanks for your reply, having done electrcal work around the house in the past I can assure you not need to worry. By my calculations it is safe to plug the cooker, I was wondering about the socket conversion and other questions i asked about? I would appreciate any thoughts? thanks.

Magica said:
Hi Ban, thanks for your reply, having done electrcal work around the house in the past I can assure you not need to worry. By my calculations it is safe to plug the cooker,
That's right.

I was wondering about the socket conversion and other questions i asked about? I would appreciate any thoughts? thanks.
No need - as you say, it's safe to plug it into a normal socket. Just avoid also using anything that takes significant current for extended periods, e.g. washing machine, on the same socket while the oven is warming up.

Sponsored Links
If you already have a cooker cu you can change the flex outlet to a socket, or put a socket on the 6mm cable if that's all you have. Thn the cooker will be both correctly fused and on a seperate circuit from the rest of the appliances

Thanks for the prompt responses guys, having looked at the wiring layout, I have decided to change one of the sockets on the kitchen ring to a cooker control unit with an integral socket and run an outlet connection from there to below the back of the oven housing unit. As the oven has an output of 2.8kw this would be OK on the ring main by my calculations as long as I am not running other heavy duty appliances at the same time. But technically I am informed that this oven should have its own dedicated radial supply from the consumer unit. Any more thoughts on this please?

Magica said:
I have decided to change one of the sockets on the kitchen ring to a cooker control unit with an integral socket and run an outlet connection from there to below the back of the oven housing unit.

Don't. Because this will then look like a dedicated cooker circuit and in the future some hapless new owner will wonder why the socket circuit trips whenever he uses his halogen hob.

Provided you comply with the rules for spurs, use a double pole isolator to supply a single unswitched socket and connect your oven with a plug.

Also, doing what you propose will remove all overcurrent protection from the oven and its supply cable apart from the 30/32A device supplying the ring.

You may have "done electrical work around the house in the past", but your questions and your ideas show that you really don't have a clue about some very important fundamentals.....

OK guys, as the socket i wanted to change does not have any spurs I will use a spurred double pole isolator from this socket to a connection outlet and plug the oven in there. Does that sound better as dingbat proposes? Having extended the ring main and done a variety of loop in work for lighting around the house, I have kept within the wiring regulations, but you guys are definitely well clued up on this subject and all your advice is very much appreciated. Thanks again.

Dare I mention Part P Building Regulations? Is this work to tested before energising and after? Are you issuing proper certification?

Indeed Qedelec, I have requested the services of an NICEIC approved electrician to certify the work with a survey before and after to provide the certificate. As i am now only going to spur off a socket to a double pole isolating switch onto an unswitched outlet with 2.5mm cable it makes the job easier. So hopefully at 2.8kw everything will be OK with the work to be carried out and provide the relevant protection as stated by dingbat and ban. Thanks again. I will be enlisting your sound advice again soon guys.

Magica said:
As i am now only going to spur off a socket to a double pole isolating switch onto an unswitched outlet
Just to confirm - you do mean an unswitched 13A socket, don't you, not a cooker outlet plate?

Yes Ban, either an unswitched 13amp socket or an outlet for the oven flex connection. Does that soud right?

Thanks to everyone for all your kind resources and input into my query especially Ban & Dingbat. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back