Baxi boiler noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,
Trying to learn how to fix boiler problems or at least identify what the problem is before calling someone out! Go easy on me as I probably won't understand half of what you might say :confused:

I have a Baxi Solo 2 PF. I have hot water and radiators that work - so far so good. However, the water runs cold within 10-15 minutes of starting a shower. The worst thing is that when you reach temp setting on the thermostat for the central heating, as the boiler turns itself off it starts making a juddering/banging noise. The bolier sounds as though its turning itself on and off again and again. This has gotten even worse of recent. Does anyone have any ideas on what it might be, is there a quick fix for it (apart from turning off the heating) or am i doomed to fork out some hard earned cash to get it fixed? I've had a quick look at some of the posts on the site but not sure if they're the same thing as me
Thanks anyone for any help they can give.

Bagman :)

Sponsored Links
A lot of people who post here think that they can be told a one line fix.

The reality of the world is different !

It sounds as if your boiler is continuing to fire after a call for heat has ended. I dont know why in your case. Not because I am stupid ( others may disagree ) but because I do not have enough information to go on.

If I was at your premises then it would take me about 5-10 minutes to find the reason. On the internet it could take me a lifetime! I would suspect a problem may be a motorised valve fault.

You may still need a competent heating engineer.

Tony

Agile said:
It sounds as if your boiler is continuing to fire after a call for heat has ended. I dont know why in your case. Not because I am stupid ( others may disagree )

who the heck would have to balls to disagree tony?????

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I kid I kid

And Chris and Dan and Alex and I are having a meal out in Cricklewood, tonight, Tuesday, with DP whilst down on his visit from Scotland !

Tony

Sponsored Links
Bloody hell

thats a meeting of minds and no mistake.

Like to be on that table ;)

Anyone with an anorak would be most welcome, as long as as you're prepared to give the little earthenware bowl your kulfi comes in to Tony, to add to his collection :D

Oh, that Baxi. One possibility is that it's short of water. Check for any air at a vent by the cylinder pipes (where the boiler pipes come in), also that there's water in the header tank, and that it flows into t he system when you do any bleeding (listen for tank refilling).

Otherwise I can't think of a common reason. Are you in a v hard water area? (HW cyl scaled up?)

there are several poss reasons for your bonking boiler - presumably it's better if you turn its stat down?

Thanks for the responses everyone, just to add some more bumf to my 'bonking boiler' issue:

-Yes, i think Berkshire is a hardwater area, just amazed that it could go from being quite as a mouse to as noisy as...well a noisy thing!
-Turning the stat down doesn't help at all - it still generates a hell of a noise
-When I bleed the radiators from time to time, water does come out, although I haven't checked the heater tank is making noises. I assume I'd have to leave it running for a bit to hear any noise?

As for the other things:
-Air by cylinder pipes where boiler pipes come in - not sure what you mean, call me stoopid :confused:
-Motorised Valve Fault, sounds serious if that is what one of the possibilities is!

Thanks all :)

Pump should over run when burner turns off, sounds like this might not be happening, but this wouldn't account for poor hot water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back