Removed a radiator - dirty water - too dirty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recenly had radiators replaced - along with an alleged power flush.

Needed to remove one today for decorating and the water was pretty dark. I was surprised as it's just been flushed.

Is this anything I should worry about?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Even power=flushing can't get it all out. I believe a Magnaclean will eventually trap all the remaining particles. It takes very little material to make the water look black. I once allowed the water to settle, and put the sludge at the bottom through filter paper and let it dry, there was less than half a cup of dry matter in 100 galls of dirty-looking water.

Did it have plenty of inhibitor added after cleaning to prevent it corroding again?

Thanks John.

It did have inhibitor added but I guess I might add some more when I put this rad back on.

Any recommendations (on the inhibitor front)? It's a combi system. Also, I can just add this to the radiator can't I? Before I put it on?

Thanks again.

Use the same brand and type that was used before. The installer ought to have put a "do not drain" label on the system somewhere that was supplied with the chemical (if not ring and ask him)

A trick you might do, drain half a jam jar of water out, put a steel nail in it, add the same amount of tap water, shake to oxygenate.

If the nail doesn't go rusty, then you have plenty of inhibitor chemical in the syst.

I'm not used to putting inhibitor in a Combi system, so won't offer opinion on how to do it.

Sponsored Links
This is useful. Thanks. I shall drain some off and try it tonight. How long to wait before nail should turn?

And finally, I'm just thinking how I might get inhibitor in the radiator without it coming out again as I try to get it on. Are there any secrets to this or is it a matter of being careful?

the nail jar - I just write the date on it and leave it on a shelf where I'll see it from time to time. maybe in a year it will remind me to do it again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back