Absolute Disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please give me as much advice as possible--I've created a huge, expensive mess--and a hazard as well!

I've tiled over several plywood floors in my new home with few problems. So, I decided to buy bullnoze tiles for my stairs and spent many hours tiling the wooden stair treads using versabond fortified thinset mortar and terre cotta tiles.

They don't stick. As I walk on them, even after letting them dry for days, they come right off--please advise! What did I do wrong and what mortar should I use?

Sponsored Links
The only thing i can think of that has happened is that wooden stairs have a fair amount of give in them so when you are walking on them its loosening the tiles because of this. Have you tried Bal flexible floor tile adhesive?

I have not tried a flexible adhesive--what are the pros and cons of using a flexible adhesive rather than a cement backer board and remortaring?

Sponsored Links
With the flexible Bal stuff it sets almost like a dense rubber and is suitable for laying on wooden floors. I see from your post that you are in the States , but you must have something available with flexibility over there. I would suggest using this or similar. Have a look at Bal-adhesives.co.uk and the adhesive is called Bal Fastflex. Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back