Extractor Hood - cable tidy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am after a bit of advice in relation to some nasty looking cabling for my shiny new extractor hood.

Please refer to the pic: (hope it appears ok)

I've just had the hood fitted by my builder and we are both unsure as to how to make the white dangling cable presentable. We could just chop off the cable but it's a moulded plug and this act will probably void the warranty. The socket is the only one closeby.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Blimey that looks a bit rubbish in your funky kitchen! Who did the electrics?

According to the regs, the fanhood should be hardwired into a fused outlet, and isolatable (eg by fixed fused spur adjacent work surfaces). However, if you don't want to cut off your plug, I guess you could move the socket to be inside the chimney and plug into this. This way it and cables will be hidden by chimney when you put it back up. Not ideal though...

SB

Yes, its a funky looking kitchen alright!

Well the builder won't touch the electrics cos he's not 'properly qualified'. I didn't appreciate that the hood should be hard wired into an outlet (I guess that's a similar connection to where my electric oven is connected too).

Moving the socket inside the hood might be an option, but how would I switch it off if the hood went all crazy?

Plus, he's already put sealant around the top so I don't think he'd wanna take it off. He had a job getting it on in the first place (damaged the ceiling!).

I might have to just go for the snip option.

Replace socket with FCU, shorten cable and put inside chrome effect mini-trunking. I don't think cutting the plug off will affect your warrenty, and even if it did, you still have your statorary rights from the retailer...

EDIT: I beleive its part p notfiable :(

Sponsored Links
keyplayer said:
What does your builder do for a living?

Err, he builds houses! Although he's done a real cracking job on the kitchen. He knows where his limits are when it comes to electrics/gas so he won't touch them but subcontract it out.

masente said:
keyplayer said:
What does your builder do for a living?

Err, he builds houses! Although he's done a real cracking job on the kitchen. He knows where his limits are when it comes to electrics/gas so he won't touch them but subcontract it out.

That makes a refreshing change. Good on him.

I`ve seen socket inside chimney hood before. Bloody ctrackers.

Ideally it should be readily accessable and reasonably obvious as to means of isolation/

Thanks for your comments.

I think I will just cut the cable short and paint the wire to help blend it in.

Sorry, bit sarcastic that post but if the wiring is beyond him it would have been sensible to coordinate a sparks during the job. Was there no other wiring involved?

sparkybird said:
According to the regs, the fanhood should be hardwired into a fused outlet...

Not so. There is nothing wrong with using a socket outlet and plugtop fuse.

I generally install an unswitched single via a DP isolator above the worktop.

keyplayer said:
Sorry, bit sarcastic that post but if the wiring is beyond him it would have been sensible to coordinate a sparks during the job. Was there no other wiring involved?

Yes, there was a sparky involved who's work is now complete and he has long since gone. I've also got the paper work to keep the authorities happy with regards to a qualified electrician performing all the work.

How about putting an unswtiched outlet behind the chimney, plug hood in there. Feed this from a switched fused connection unit just below one of the wall cupboards. At least then the only piece of visible cable will run vertically from the top of the wall cupboard into the ceiling, drop it down behind the chimney to the socket. All other cable can be run in trunking under the units and not seen.

A possibility but if you go this route you need to put 13a fuse in the inaccessable plug and 3a fuse in the fcu!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back